Nikon D50 Lens Suggestion.....

IvyJade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ivyjade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D50 with the Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm lens. I like it but it doesn't get up close enough for me. My canon SD1100 gets closer I feel....lol

What are some suggestions in gettin' up close. Not across a football field, but say, for instance, in a crowd of people in the back to get to the bnad playing up front in a small bar potentially. Or standing at the front of the stage and getting up close to the drummer int he back.

Thanks
ME :confused:

Whats the budget? The D50 can use just about any Nikon lens. So there is a large variety to look at.

I have a D50 with the Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm lens. I like it but it doesn't get up close enough for me. My canon SD1100 gets closer I feel....lol

What are some suggestions in gettin' up close. Not across a football field, but say, for instance, in a crowd of people in the back to get to the bnad playing up front in a small bar potentially. Or standing at the front of the stage and getting up close to the drummer int he back.

Thanks
ME :confused:

What's your budget and what do you want to use the lens for? Maybe have a look at the Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR if you don't need a fast lens. Most reviews suggest it is a good lens for the price.

As far as budget, I don't want to spend an arm and leg but I'm not against paying for what's worth the money.

It's the lens is WORTH IT, i will spend it.....makes sense?

As far as budget, I don't want to spend an arm and leg but I'm not against paying for what's worth the money.

It's the lens is WORTH IT, i will spend it.....makes sense?

Not really. What's reasonably priced for you might be an arm and a leg for somebody else and vice versa. Did you look at the link I posted above? Is that the kind of budget you have in mind or are you willing to spend more?

Not really. What's reasonably priced for you might be an arm and a leg for somebody else and vice versa. Did you look at the link I posted above? Is that the kind of budget you have in mind or are you willing to spend more?

That is not bad at all. The only thing I am NOt looking for is the huge one that requires a tripod....lol

That price is not bad, but I am willing to pay more. Let's give my budget about $500.00 but less would be good as well

Reasonably price, get my money worth etc.

Edit: I read about this one http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr.htm Which is good for sports. I guess for drag races, and bands as well which this is good for?

Last edited:
If you want a GOOD zoom lens that's fast, you'll need a f/2.8

I suggest the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 and that'll run you about $915

It doesn't have VR or anything, but if you want VR you'd have to get the 70-200mm f/2.8 @ $1700 [arm + leg, but very much worth every penny]

in a crowd of people in the back to get to the bnad playing up front in a small bar potentially
For that specific example, you will definitely need f/2.8 or faster.

If you can't afford Nikon's fast telephoto zooms, you can always look at third-party brands like Sigma or a fast telephoto prime.

For that specific example, you will definitely need f/2.8 or faster.

If you can't afford Nikon's fast telephoto zooms, you can always look at third-party brands like Sigma or a fast telephoto prime.

He is correct.

In Bars, which are normally dark, a slower lens, like a f/4 won't do the job. While the Sigmas and Tamrons are good 3rd party lenses, remember that when you buy a Nikkor lens, you pay for the build quality, and the optics inside. It'd be better to spend the $900 now for a much better lens than have to spend $400 or whatnot, and upgrade when you aren't satisfied.

That is my biggest thing. I don't want to sit there and buy a cheap version NOW when I will be upgrading at a later date. waste of money. I'm all about getting it NOW if it's worth it to keep from buying again later. As you mentioned.

Wooooooooooooo 900 is on up there and I am SURE it's worth it, but I can't do that right now. Anything more budget oriented? maybe not ALL the features but the most important?

Yeah now i'm getting picking, the 400-500 didn't sound bad but the 900 is on up there....I wanna save up for a D300 eventually....hehehehe

PS: the 70-200mm f/2.8 is HUGE and i'm not a big person....hehehheehe

I guess more discreet lmao but I know to get what i want i will need BIG...

Last edited:
The 55-200 VR is a good compliment to what you have. The 70-300 Vr is a GREAT longer lens - though costing more. Both are more consumer than pro lenses - in cost and speed. I was happy with the 70-300 for some time before expanding my choices.

Going up to the next level of pro lenses gets expensive..... the 80-200 or 70-200VR.... they give you f/2.8 but you pay for it.

Honestly, if you pay the 900 now, you wont be sorry, and the 80-200mm f/2.8 is the BEST mid range zoom lens thats sub $1000. Pro quality, and is f/2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back