Nikon D50 or D70?

Mcfly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have read alot of things on this forum about the D50 and I'm interested in purchasing this camera, however I wanted to know what the major differences were between the D50 and D70 and what you would suggest if I have the option of either. Thanks.

I'd go with the D50 myself.

D70s differences:

(1) Depth-of-Field Preview - A large portion of people who have cameras with this option never learn to use it properly anyways. While I'd like having it, it's not key.
(2) Flash Commander - You can control off-camera flashes with the D70s on-camera flash. The D50 has no such feature. Most people never care.
(3) Default Settings - Out of the box, the D50 produces much more vivid, pleasing pictures for more people. The sensor is (I beleve) identical, so the D70s could be tweaked with color modes and such to produce the same pictures, but if you don't like fiddling with settings the D50 has an initial advantage here.
(4) Command Wheels - The D50 has one, the D70s has two. I personally enjoy the one-wheel setup more, but some people like two.
(5) Vertical Grip w/ Shutter Release - it's absolutely impossible on the D50. There's no official one for the D70s, but some third parties have managed to, with optical cables, rig one up.
(6) Material - The D70s is Magnesium, the D50 is a (very strong and steady-feeling) polycarbonate. The D70s can theoretically take more of a beating, but the D50 feels rock solid and isn't about to break easily.
(7) Size/Weight - The D70s is about a centimeter taller and weighs more.
(8) Price - The D50 is MUCH cheaper. It's got the Same Sensor and 99% of the features. That's why I like it better.

I have the D50, and as I reflect upon it, wish I would have sprung for the D70. I'm about to buy a D200, so the main reasons I wish I would have gone D70 vs D50 is:

1. media - the D70+ all take Compact Flash (I or II) whereas the D50 uses SecureDigital. Now I'll need to re-buy all my media again.
2. General 'feel' - larger lenses feel much better on the D70 then the D50 and makes my hand cramp up after awhile. They appear to be the same size at a casual glance, but the D70 feels a tad bit bulkier and feels better in my large man-hands :D

i used both, and simply put, go for the d50, contrary to JDP, i haven't ever noticed a size differnce in the d50 and the d70. i use my d50 at home, and our schools d70's everyday, and never notice

That is a valid comparison point for the exact moment, but I suspect that within the next few years you'll see the rest of Nikon's line converted to SD. It's smaller (means less camera real estate for the storage mechanism), draws less power, is often faster, and almost always cheaper. It truly is superior, and the only reason CF's hung on is because Pro Photographers have stacks of the stuff due to the fact that a few years ago SD wasn't mature and CF was clearly superior, so it became the de facto standard. Slowly, with first the D50 and now the D80, Nikon's revamping their line to take SD.

Ah, the D80 uses SD? Hrmm, perhaps I'll have to think about making that my next upgrade point - unless a D300 is released soon with the same slot.

I had always assumed that CF was still widely in use because it used to be where you could find maximum capacity cards (Though now you can get 4GB SD cards for $100) for a good price and the use of those IBM CF MicroDrives that went up to... 10GB? I think.

Tiberius said:
That is a valid comparison point for the exact moment, but I suspect that within the next few years you'll see the rest of Nikon's line converted to SD. It's smaller (means less camera real estate for the storage mechanism), draws less power, is often faster, and almost always cheaper. It truly is superior, and the only reason CF's hung on is because Pro Photographers have stacks of the stuff due to the fact that a few years ago SD wasn't mature and CF was clearly superior, so it became the de facto standard. Slowly, with first the D50 and now the D80, Nikon's revamping their line to take SD.

The Primary difference between the D80 and D200 in my mind looking at them is that the D200 can meter all the old MF lenses. If that's important to you, that'd be a huge selling point to me. It's got a few other benefits (faster 5fps shooting speed, much larger buffer, better weather sealing), but those are all used only once in a while. In the end, it's simply a matter of which is more cost-efficient for the buyer while still delivering whatever features they require.

Thanks for all the input, it has really helped make this decision a little less difficult.bigfatbadger-I currently do not have a digital slr, only an olympus om10, and am wanting to work towards a long-term goal of a professional career in photography, starting with some freelance work on the side. I have a really great job in the television industry but I'm not 100% happy, but at the same time can't really quite my job until I have some extra $$$ and more experience shelved away (not to mention a larger portfolio). I have always had a love for photography and feel that It's about time I do something about it, professionally - so freelance photography on the side is what it's going to be for me until I can get my feet soaked a little more.I think from what I've read, the D50 is probably the way to go for me now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back