Nikon D500 or Olympus EM-1ii?

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I know the comparison is a little skewed towards the Nikon, because the D500 is a superb camera in about every area. The Olympus E-M1ii is also supposed to be a superb camera in the M4/3 format.

I'm finding myself in a crossroads for camera format. I love my M4/3 system, and I have invested in some really nice glass. I love the smaller size, especially for travel!
I also really liked my old Nikon setup, but have sold all the glass. All I have is the D5100 and kit lenses.
At times, I wish I had a more capable autofocusing camera (shooting BIF and airplanes in flight kids running).

So, I can either go the route of the EM1ii which is supposed to have a significant upgrade in the phase/contrast focusing...and I already have all the glass I would need.
Or...I could purchase a D500 and have to reinvest in all new glass. The thing is, I don't know if I would want to ditch the M4/3 system all together to pay for the switch.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Last edited:
Isn't there a new EM-1 coming out soon? I swear I saw something.

Logic says do NOT get the D500. The necessary restocking of Nikon glass just makes no sense.

If you still feel a strong pull towards the Nikon then perhaps something other than logic drives this. Yes, I know that the D500 is a singular camera and is going to be superior to your current set up in many ways. It simply makes no financial sense to spend that kind of money to obtain that marginal increase in performance unless the subjects of your photography are predominately benefited by these improvements, and you are obtaining bad results now. It does not sound to me like this is the case. It does sound however like theD 500 would make you very happy.

There is nothing wrong with that – sometimes we simply need to do things that make us happy. Only you can count the cost as it affects your personal and financial life.

Well maybe the thing to consider is different cameras for different needs. Apparently you already have a pretty capable system for the most part, your just wanting to be able to have something that would just be a bit better in some shooting situations.

So instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, might want to consider something like say a D7100 or D7200 with a good telephoto lens, and keep your current setup.

You'd have the portability and all of the short focal lengths covered for most of your shooting situations, then when your going to be shooting kids at play or birds in flight or planes, pull out the 7100 and the one good sized telephoto lens you have for it and go to town. You wouldn't really need to get lenses for the 7100 to cover all focal lengths/shooting situations as you'd already have that covered with your other system. You'd be using it more or less when you need big telephoto/action shots.

Just a thought.

Logic says do NOT get the D500. The necessary restocking of Nikon glass just makes no sense.

If you still feel a strong pull towards the Nikon then perhaps something other than logic drives this. Yes, I know that the D500 is a singular camera and is going to be superior to your current set up in many ways. It simply makes no financial sense to spend that kind of money to obtain that marginal increase in performance unless the subjects of your photography are predominately benefited by these improvements, and you are obtaining bad results now. It does not sound to me like this is the case. It does sound however like theD 500 would make you very happy.

There is nothing wrong with that – sometimes we simply need to do things that make us happy. Only you can count the cost as it affects your personal and financial life.

I'm pretty sure you hit the nail on the head. It really doesn't make sense, financially or logically, to switch back to a system I already moved away from. I just need to practice and learn how to get better at the fundamentals of photography. People posing continues to be a weakness of mine. I will get a nice composure for the people, but I will forget to mention what to do with hands, hair, clothing, etc. It's the small stuff that is bothering me in post-processing.

Lately, I've been asked by several families for fall photo sessions, so Clearly I am doing something right. I sometimes feel limited by my equipment (which I know I am probably just making an excuse for poor photographic techniques because my equipment is very much a Pro setup). I also need to use the bad photos as learning experiences to improve future photo sessions. People photography is my weakest area...all other forms don't require good results!

Thanks for your comment.

Well maybe the thing to consider is different cameras for different needs. Apparently you already have a pretty capable system for the most part, your just wanting to be able to have something that would just be a bit better in some shooting situations.

So instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, might want to consider something like say a D7100 or D7200 with a good telephoto lens, and keep your current setup.

You'd have the portability and all of the short focal lengths covered for most of your shooting situations, then when your going to be shooting kids at play or birds in flight or planes, pull out the 7100 and the one good sized telephoto lens you have for it and go to town. You wouldn't really need to get lenses for the 7100 to cover all focal lengths/shooting situations as you'd already have that covered with your other system. You'd be using it more or less when you need big telephoto/action shots.

Just a thought.

That's a good idea, but I probably wouldn't go that route. I have a D5100 though, and I'm pretty sure that's equivalent-ish to the D7000, not much less quality than the D7100. Maybe I just need to invest in 1 good lens for the Nikon.
I really haven't used the Nikon though, since the Olympus E-M5ii I'm using is (what I think) superior to the D5100.

I think the 4:3 aspect ratio is better for people than is the 3:2 of the consumer Nikons.

I just got back from trying a D500. NICE, super nice.
I also tried a D7200. Nice but no comparison to the D500 in features and functionality.

I do like that you can reprogram the D7200's Record button to be the ISO button. The D500 has it ISO by default (and Canon's have had an ISO button up there for ages). But I prefer hitting the ISO button and resetting it to/from AUTO ISO or changing the ISO with only my right fingers. Versus moving your left hand off the lens to get to the ISO button on the lower left rear of the camera. Such a great feature to have.

But if you can stick to the same lens format and just upgrade a body, I'd probably do that. Unless there are certain requirements that push you to a totally different body. One reason I'm looking at the d500 ... BIF, AIF and sports even though my current cameras are more than capable.

Last edited:
That's a good idea, but I probably wouldn't go that route. I have a D5100 though, and I'm pretty sure that's equivalent-ish to the D7000, not much less quality than the D7100. Maybe I just need to invest in 1 good lens for the Nikon.
I really haven't used the Nikon though, since the Olympus E-M5ii I'm using is (what I think) superior to the D5100.

The 5100 isn't a bad camera, I prefer the 7100 as it has a much better AF system (something you mentioned), the 2 control wheels (which makes a world of difference for quick adjustments) and the 24mp sensor, which comes in very handy for cropping.

But if your not doing a ton of telephoto the 5100 could still do a pretty respectable job, get a good telephoto lens for it, use the Oly for most everything else, best of both worlds.

You can get both Tamron and Sigma 150-600mm's for under $1000, or if your worried about budget then something like an older Sigma 150-500 are usually running in the $500 range. That would give you plenty of telephoto when you need it, and the better AF of the DSLR.

Both are exceedingly good cameras.
How important are high ISO/low light images?
If you plan to go pro, NPS is worth going with Nikon.
If you prize portability the EM1 II won't disappoint.

High ISO performance is always important, but I don't think I would use anything over 2400 for a paid shoot. During my most recent shoot using the E-M5ii, I set my ISO range from 100-1000.
I don't plan on going "pro" (which I would define as sole-income source) but people do occasionally hire me for my work. I just want a camera I feel comfortable accepting the paid work with.

I will probably end up getting the E-M1ii when it comes out and call it a day.

High ISO performance is always important, but I don't think I would use anything over 2400 for a paid shoot. During my most recent shoot using the E-M5ii, I set my ISO range from 100-1000.
I don't plan on going "pro" (which I would define as sole-income source) but people do occasionally hire me for my work. I just want a camera I feel comfortable accepting the paid work with.

I will probably end up getting the E-M1ii when it comes out and call it a day.
more important to know how the images would be used.
I've shot a wedding at ISO 6400 but as long as you're not printing larger than 8x10 it is totally fine.

Jut read that Olympus will soon offer a $99/annual "pro" loaner gear, cleaning, and quick turn-around repair service. Check into that.

Looking again at your lenses, you DO have some nice 4/3 optics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back