Nikon D5000 Has a Problem w/ Strobes

I have the d5000 and the sync speed is 200

Why are you people keep saying it is all about settings? The Nikon on-line technical support said the same thing too which I do not agree.

With the camera at full auto (except ISO set at Hi), we should not expect to encounter any problems but in reality it did happen. My friend suggested that there might be a bug in the controlling software (electronic shutter speed) that slow down the shutter to create the black portion. May be what I should try is to manually set the camera at different shutter speeds (1/60, 1/80, 1/100 ... 1/250, 1/500...) and see if I can repoduce the same result.

Hi, I bought my D5000 last Christmas and I came across the exact problem last week first time, part of one photo (1 out of 60 photos) went black!! THis does not happen with D50 or the D60 (both use CCD sensros) that I have before. Coincidently the shutter speed of the photo taken happen to be 1/250, all settings at AUTO/P with flash off and ISO set at Hi1 (6400).

I thInk this problem got to do with the shutter. I will be bringing the camera to Nikon Canada and see if thy can provide an explanation and/or any possible fix (if this is a defect). I will post the result once I got it.

There is nothing wrong with the camera it is the way you are setting it

Was the camera set at AEB(auto bracketing) perhaps......

Why are you people keep saying it is all about settings? The Nikon on-line technical support said the same thing too which I do not agree.

With the camera at full auto (except ISO set at Hi), we should not expect to encounter any problems but in reality it did happen. My friend suggested that there might be a bug in the controlling software (electronic shutter speed) that slow down the shutter to create the black portion. May be what I should try is to manually set the camera at different shutter speeds (1/60, 1/80, 1/100 ... 1/250, 1/500...) and see if I can repoduce the same result.

Hi, I bought my D5000 last Christmas and I came across the exact problem last week first time, part of one photo (1 out of 60 photos) went black!! THis does not happen with D50 or the D60 (both use CCD sensros) that I have before. Coincidently the shutter speed of the photo taken happen to be 1/250, all settings at AUTO/P with flash off and ISO set at Hi1 (6400).

I thInk this problem got to do with the shutter. I will be bringing the camera to Nikon Canada and see if thy can provide an explanation and/or any possible fix (if this is a defect). I will post the result once I got it.

When using studio lighting there is only 1 mode to shoot in MANUAL

1 out of 60 photos was BLACK....was the lens cap on the lens for that one shot?? Was it an actual "photograph" attempt, or was it perhaps a case of tripping the shutter with the lens capped?

1 out of 60 photos was BLACK....was the lens cap on the lens for that one shot?? Was it an actual "photograph" attempt, or was it perhaps a case of tripping the shutter with the lens capped?

OR, did he trip the shutter, and none of his strobes fired. This could be the cause also.

However, to the OP, depending on what kind of trigger you are using, when the camera is in full auto, it may not recognize that you are shooting with flash, and therefore it would use a shutter speed beyond your max sync speed?

What strobes/triggers are you using?

Better yet, how the heck are you getting a proper exposure on full auto, when you are using strobes (which aren't ttl compatible, at least none that I've ever heard of anyway)

Wait, wait, wait, wait... Why would you have the ISO set to HI when using studio flash????

Wait, wait, wait, wait... Why would you have the ISO set to HI when using studio flash????

Because he has not got a clue what he is doing

You simply cannot shoot on AUTO mode when using studio strobes. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

You have to use manual exposure settings so that they remain 100% consistent.

The flash was OFF the whole time. If I use flash there will be no problem because the shutter is sync at 1/200.

Because he has not got a clue what he is doing

Hi guys, good news. After talking to Nikon Canada and re-test the D5000, there is absolutely no problem with the camera, it was a defective SD card that cause the photo distortion. Nothing to do with the shutter at all. That close the case.

As for the Stokes/Studio lighting, it is the temperature of these lighting that throw the D5000 auto metering off. these sudios light are usual high in temperature, with multiple stokes, the temperature will go even higher, in this case auto flash is not recommended, manual settings should be used. The actual output of all the stokes should be checked and then the flash output of the D5000 reduce accordingly. If you find this too much to calculate, try to get a portable metering reader, that can help to find the right exposure combination.

Most reactions

Back