Nikon D5100 generic batteries?

Good luck finding one, but keep in mind that generic ones tend to last half as long as the standard ones. I've found that they are not worth what you save because you need two to equal the original one!

Not necessarily true. There are always two things to check aside from price: 1) the specs and 2) actual user review to learn about actual performance.

I have an Olympus bridge camera that uses the LI-50B battery rated at 925mAh and costs $30. I have bought two compatibles rated at 1400mAh costing $3 a piece with no known reported issues. Needless to say, each of these compatibles last longer than my original. :)

Last edited:
i guess no way to avoid paying another $60 :( Ridiculous considering that it has been quite a while and no generics yet

@Tissa, actually generics have been around. What is ridiculous is Nikon's decision not to allow generics to work directly with their cameras as shown with the P7000. The P7000 having the same battery also works with generic batteries as long as it has the original firmware. But with the recent firmware upgrades, the same battery will no longer work. :(

PS as mentioned earlier by others and myself, the cheapest original go for $40 at Fry's and Amazon.

Last edited:
The battery is an important piece of the equation. Trying to save a few bucks may end up costing you your camera if a crappy battery fries it or explodes in it. I would not cheap out on the batteries. Just something to consider.

The Nikon EN-EL15 (not for the D3100/D5100/P7000) has an issue. EN-EL15 Battery - Electrical Safety Recall. So originals do have their issues as well. That's something to consider too. (This also reminds me about original Sony Vaio batteries literally burning up.)

This issue IMO is more of Nikon trying to have a monopoly on batteries. The P7000 with the original firmware was able to use after-market batteries until after the latest firnware upgrade. This just shows that Nikon strongly discourages the use of aftermarket accessories. From a manufacturer's standpoint accessories have the largest profit margins, hence making accessories extremely overpriced.

But I must say that some aftermarket items are better than others. It also goes that one should check the aftermarket brand's reputation and also actual user reviews.

To reiterate, AFAIK there are no known aftermarket batteries that will work directly with the D3100/D5100 without using an aftermarket battery grip. Nonetheless, two batteries and a camera grip would still come out cheaper than an original one.

Should you still prefer an original one, the cheapest that I can find costs $40 both at Fry's and Amazon which was pointed out by others.

I'm not saying that Nikon batteries can't have their issues but if they cause your Nikon camera to blow up, you can probably file a claim with Nikon and have them fix or replace it. Not so much the case with after-market batteries.

@Ph0enix, For some the risks involved have been considered already and probability wise the benefits outweigh the risks. Fact is a whole aftermaket industry is thriving. This does not mean to say that you should not buy originals. It's a free market out there. Feel free to buy whatever is best for you. And it's not limited only to Nikon cameras. Manufacturers from all industries do tend to discourage third-party accessories suppliers often claiming they are not compatible in order for them to gain huge margins. But the real point in this thread is that there are viable alternatives for using original batteries albeit they have some "quirks" of their own (i.e. having to use a battery grip - not all would want that.) In any case feel free to use whatever you deemed best for your camera and happy shooting. :)

@Ph0enix, For some the risks involved have been considered already and probability wise the benefits outweigh the risks. Fact is a whole aftermaket industry is thriving. This does not mean to say that you should not buy originals. It's a free market out there. Feel free to buy whatever is best for you. And it's not limited only to Nikon cameras. Manufacturers from all industries do tend to discourage third-party accessories suppliers often claiming they are not compatible in order for them to gain huge margins. But the real point in this thread is that there are viable alternatives for using original batteries albeit they have some "quirks" of their own (i.e. having to use a battery grip - not all would want that.) In any case feel free to use whatever you deemed best for your camera and happy shooting. :)

Agreed. I just want the OP to realize the risk they're taking. Ultimately the decision is theirs to make. :D

Battery Grip? And why is that? I would be leery of a $6.80 battery but I must say I did buy some generic batteries for my Canon S95 for a very low cost and they work great. With my D7000 I decided to stick with Nikon batteries. If a generic battery leaks, explodes, etc. and ruins a $1,200 camera you're SOL. I bought a generic for my D80 from Adorama that sucked so I went back to a Nikon battery for a spare.

Jerry

Sarah, when you stated it was necessary to buy a battery grip to use generic batteries for the D5100 I was at a complete loss as to your reasoning and was questioning that logic but now I see another poster has stated the same thing stating that the generic batteries will not work when inserted directly into the camera. So your info. was spot on. Just felt compelled to let you know I was evidently wrong.

Jerry

No worries!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I saw the struggle with the 3rd party batteries - I partly agree, that genuines are usually of higher capacity (however, 1/2 capacity for 1/4th of the price is still a deal).

I am looking for a much simpler device: an AP-5a connector for external power (timelapse photos). I found this on ebay:

EP-5A EP5A EP-5 EP5 Connector Nikon P7000 D3000 D3100 D5000 D5100 | eBay

About half the price of the original nikon cable. Would it work with the D5100? Or it has to be chipped like the batteries?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back