Nikon D5100 i want to change my lens ???

pmoromalos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello

I have a Nikon D5100 with 18-55 vr kit from 2011. I use for trips and portraits and in general photography. I am thinking to buy a new lens. I have seen the above:

Nikon 18-200 mm VR
Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR

I like Nikon for it’s range and the Tamron for 2.8 .

My First Priority is the Quality of pictures which I take and second the Range.

My budget is limited at 400.00 €, so if I decide to buy Nikon, I will buy it used

What is your opinion ? Which choice you think is the best ??? If you have any other suggestion ??

Thx a lot..

The Nikon 18-200 is alright as a superzoom but I wouldn't say it's an upgrade in quality at all (distortion, variable aperture => poor low-light & bokeh). The Tamron might be alright but that range on a DX camera could be a little awkward as you'll want more wide or more long!

I would almost suggest looking at a 18-105 VR as it is the best, IMO, compromise between length and quality. However, if you can save for a bit longer, I think the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS (or maybe their new 17-70 OS? Product | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION) would be a better upgrade to shoot for. If you're looking for more quality in a specific area (portrait, for example), I would highly recommend considering a prime lens instead of a zoom!

If your first priority is image quality, I suggest you to get a prime lens. If you do a lot of trips, the 35mm is light and image quality is very good.

The new g series of Nikon primes are great! Grab a 35mm 1.8g and maybe a 50mm1.8g, they are fairly inexpensive. Plus working with a prime can rent to improve your skills and composition because you have to think about your framing and composition more. I have several zooms and haven't used any of them for months, my 50mm 85 1.8g are almost always the ones on my camera

IMO for a travel lens the 18-200 would be a better choice. While the Tamron might give you higher quality images the zoom of 28-75 will probably restrict the pictures you can get.

A option might be to get 2 lenses. Get the 18-105 that Jaron mentioned (I got a refurb fr $250 usd its been great) and maybe the 35mm 1.8 prime. This gives you a much better zoom than the 18-55 you have while giving you and option for quality if you need/want it. If you search you can probably get both and still be in budget.

Maybe will be good choice the sigma 17-70 as Jaronrh say. For primes i have no idea..... As i can understand i will not have zoom .. i think i have to go to a shop, for use these lenses...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back