Nikon D5100 or Canon Rebel T3i

dominic22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
triboroughfd.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone, I am currently trying to decide between the Nikon D5100 and the Canon Rebel T3i. Both cameras are within my price range, they both are similar, and they both feel really good in my hands.

I am interested in portrait photography and also action photography. I plan on getting a 50mm lens and a 28-80mm lens. I'm not sure what else I need to include. I am just looking for suggestions.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Don't think you can go wrong with either one. I have the d5100 and I love it. I use the Kit 18-55.

I do not know how reliable SnapSort (website) is, but it gives a detailed comparison of any camera that you list and I see that the Nikon has the upper hand. Its a really tough decision for me.

I love my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens. I got it to replace a 50mm f/1.8 lens that I was using for portraits. My 5 year old granddaughter was a little uncomfortable at 50mm. With a longer lens I was able to back up a little and she was natural again.

It would be nice if you could borrow a 50mm to test out. You may not need both overlapping lenses. You could put that $220 in a flash.

Have Fun, Mick

Oh, BTW, I like Nikon but I'm sure Canon is great too. I have a D3100. Check out the features, the ergonomics and the controls / buttons of each.

Go with the D5100. When I was comparing the two, I found that the D5100 was more made for photos, where as the T3i is more for video. I went with the T3i because I have a YouTube channel, and originally wanted a camcorder...

I was looking at the same two cameras trying to decide which one to go with, I'm pretty sure I've decided on the D5100 though. I have the D3000 now and I really like the ergonomics of the Nikon over the Canon, to me it just seems easier to reach everything.

I appreciate all of the responses. I have decided on going with the Nikon D5100. Next up, figuring out what lens I will need lol.

I appreciate all of the responses. I have decided on going with the Nikon D5100. Next up, figuring out what lens I will need lol.

What do you have now or what are you used to?

Well, I do not have a DSLR at the moment. The closest thing to a DSLR that I have previously owned was an Advanced Point and Shoot (Fujifilm Finepix HS20/EXR), so I do not have any equipment.

Well, I do not have a DSLR at the moment. The closest thing to a DSLR that I have previously owned was an Advanced Point and Shoot (Fujifilm Finepix HS20/EXR), so I do not have any equipment.

Get the kit 18-55 lens that usually comes with the camera. It is a great starter lens. It may even suit you from now on. I like mine. You can also learn the different focal lengths that it provides. You can learn if you need / want wider or longer or both. You can learn what 35mm or a 50mm fixed length (prime) lenses will provide, length wise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back