Nikon D5100 Shutter problems

Jamie2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had a Nikon D5100 for over a year. I've started having shutter problems. When the shutter button is depressed occasionally the camera will not focus or take a picture. Sometimes it is when the camera is first turned on. Sometimes it happens after I have taken several pictures. It happens on different settings. It happens infrequently so I haven't taken the camera in for repair yet. Has this happened to anyone else with this camera?

Does it happen when the scene is dark?

AF needs light to work, and some of the AF modes are focus priority modes, in that the camera has to determine that focus has been achieved before the shutter will trip.
You might want to review pages 39-46 of the D5100 Reference Manual.

Have you noticed it happening on more than one lens? The first thing I'd do is a quick check of the manual/auto focus switches (make sure they are fully in auto position) and do a quick clean of the contacts between camera and lens.

Does it happen when the scene is dark?

AF needs light to work, and some of the AF modes are focus priority modes, in that the camera has to determine that focus has been achieved before the shutter will trip.
You might want to review pages 39-46 of the D5100 Reference Manual.

One time the camera was on the continuous shoot mode. Yesterday I was trying to take a pic of the morning clouds. I thought I was on Autofocus but accidentally had it on No Flash.

The shutter wouldn't even try to focus. I'll check the manual.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back