Nikon D5100 + Sigma 50mm 1.4

anfibil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

So I am planning on buying my first 50mm 1.4prime lens in the next few days and I got tired of looking around the web for reviews on "Nikon 50mm 1.4G vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 ". Seems like at the end of the tunnel, most opinions were highly personal. That being the case, after looking at several sample shots, I decided that I like the images shot at 1.4 using the Sigma better than the Nikon. And the point of spending this much money on a lens with that aperture should be to use it, right? :)

However... despite having a really nice bokeh at high apertures and looking a bit sharper than the nikon, I also saw that many people have complained about AF issues on the sigma lens, some of which seemed to be easily corrected using some in-camera fine tuning for the focus. However, I currently own a D5100 (although I plan to trade it for a D7000 in the near future) and it does not have that option, therefore if my AF is bad, I'd have to play package sending back and fourth with Sigma and I would rather not have to do that.

So, since it's hard to find reviews where people tested a certain lens with a specific body, I was wondering if any of you guys has had a chance to try this combo that I'm mentioning (D5100 + Sigma 50mm) and what were your impressions. I'm also opened to those who would like to discourage me from buying the lens and getting the cheaper nikon instead.

Thanks in advance! :)

The Sigma is a great lens, I recommend it! I bought one used recently, I read all the horror stories about autofocus. But in reality my copy focuses amazingly well! Even in low light its stunningly good, I think there were issues with AF calibration on a few of the early releases. You will always hear horror stories, I know the Sigma did have issues but then again you will always hear more horror stories than success stories.

I highly suggest to give this lens a go, the bokeh is simply amazing. I love the Nikon 50's, but they all seem to provide some form of outlining in the bokeh. The Siggy has a really special look to the photographs it produces! So sorry I;m not going to say 'go for the Nikon' if you want decent bokeh, in terms of sharpness they are very equal, but in terms of bokeh the Sigma is superior in my opinion. ;)

The Sigma is a great lens, I recommend it! I bought one used recently, I read all the horror stories about autofocus. But in reality my copy focuses amazingly well! Even in low light its stunningly good, I think there were issues with AF calibration on a few of the early releases. You will always hear horror stories, I know the Sigma did have issues but then again you will always hear more horror stories than success stories.

I highly suggest to give this lens a go, the bokeh is simply amazing. I love the Nikon 50's, but they all seem to provide some form of outlining in the bokeh. The Siggy has a really special look to the photographs it produces! So sorry I;m not going to say 'go for the Nikon' if you want decent bokeh, in terms of sharpness they are very equal, but in terms of bokeh the Sigma is superior in my opinion. ;)

Ha! Thanks for validating most of my thoughts ;) And that is definitely true about there always being more horror stories than success ones. It seems people who have issues will always advertise them, but the same is not true for those who get a great equipment and never have issues with it. And if this lens were as bad as some people describe it, I would be seeing many more used copies on sale (but I currently just see 1 on ebay).

May I ask which body are you using with your Sigma lens and if you would happen to have some samples? Thanks!

Hi. I've got a D5100 too and am seriously considering buying the sigma 50mm F1.4 lense. Did you end up having problems with the autofocus in the end or not? an answer would be greatly appreciated.

Most reactions

Back