Nikon D5100 vs D90

I have the D90 and LOVE it. I wouldn't change it for anything. I'm still learning new things on it after having it for almost 2 years. It's a good buy, I think you'll love it too OP!
It only took me about 6 months to max out a D90, and so some things had to change.

First, of the 11 auto focus points the D90 has (MultiCAM 1000 auto focus module), only 1 of them (the center one) is a cross-type focus point. Second, I got tired of having to lower the camera from my eye to dive into the menus to change a setting.

To solve the first issue I got a D300 because it (and all of Nikon's prosumer and pro cameras) has the MultiCAM 3500DX auto focus module - 51 auto focus points, 15 of them being cross-type focus points. To solve the second, most settings can be changed by using a button/switch on the outside of the camera (and all of Nikon's prosumer and pro cameras have the same button/switch layout) so you can change settings by feel and looking in the viewfinder as the settings change . Plus you get a 10-pin connector, a PC port, a higher FPS rate, 3 times as many AEB brackets, blah, blah, blah, by moving up the the D300/D300s and above.

D90 hands down!!!!

Shooting a wedding with a ****ty setup doesnt depends on your skillz you noob. It depend on what light you have available. I would shoot a Destination wedding in mexico with a d40 and a 18-55 anyday. try doing it in a church with no light. you can have all the skillz you want. no light no pictures.

oh you are absolutely right and I forgot that if you have an underwater wedding, a kit lense will not do either. noobs be warned. :lmao:

I do think so, D90 is the best option, it doesn’t cost much at the range of middle level DSLRs.

D90 is my vote! Own it, love it! Next is a D3S within the month, which I will still keep my D90 cause it still just turns me on!

Havnt heard from the OP for awhile but To get back to the whole point of the thread, perhaps it is too easy to suggest a D90. I think Webada has a fair point, it sounds like Recreational use is going to be his main objective and if so, the Auto mode is gonna be regularly used, in which case a d5100 is a good choice. Its his first DSLR so he hasnt invested in non auto focus lens' and if youre considering a d90 for your first DSLR youve probably got abit money to spend so likelihood is, he'll be able to buy a lens' specifically suited to wedding photography if he wishes. Im in the same situation as the OP, upgrading from the bridge camera iv owned for 2 years i'm also stuck between the two cameras. Chances are after this thread he's gonna choose the D90 and thats no bad thing, Its a great camera, iv been trying it out. I still dont know which camera to buy, Weighing up the newer sensor and marginally better image quality and in particular low light capabilities against the D90's pro body for easy shooting in the field is very tough. Hopefully il be able to work out whats best for me soon. Bye.

Hi Michael,

For me it comes down to better controls, top lcd, better viewfinder, and internal motor for the D90 compared to better video (I don't use) and better high-ISO (I wish I had) for the D5100. If you plan on using shooting mostly on auto AND taking a lot of video AND a lot of indoor photos with no flash, then the D5100 might be a better choice. However, most of the people who post on photography forums for advice are the types who will eventually want to get out of auto mode and into manual modes. It'd be hard for me to lose the the top LCD after growing accustomed to it.

good luck,
Scott

I agree with many of the comments here about the D90 being the better choice, mainly as I have one and love it.

The D90 just gives me what I need in a camera, it has great manual control. I would prefer a D700 or D3S but the D90 is adequate for me and fulfils my needs. The D5100 has better sensor performance, but takes away alot of the features I need.

When I was looking at cams it was between the D90 and D5000. I think the D90 was worth the extra cash for what it offers over the D5000. If I had got a D5000 I would've regretted it, I may of saved some money but what is the point of saving money if every time you pick up your camera you wish you had bought a higher model.

You see i dont take a lot of video, and im rarely using the auto mode unless at a friends house for a party of something very casual. For photography i shoot on full manual of A/S priority. This is why im leaning towards the older D90 with the Pro body and dual controls. With my current camera i hate having to go into the menu everytime i need to change a setting. Its probably the better choice for me. I just worry that after i purchase, il be regretting that extra image quality, perhaps its so marginal in good light that i wont even notice? :/

You see i dont take a lot of video, and im rarely using the auto mode unless at a friends house for a party of something very casual. For photography i shoot on full manual of A/S priority. This is why im leaning towards the older D90 with the Pro body and dual controls. With my current camera i hate having to go into the menu everytime i need to change a setting. Its probably the better choice for me. I just worry that after i purchase, il be regretting that extra image quality, perhaps its so marginal in good light that i wont even notice? :/

I wouldn't worry, that extra image quality is marginal it really is. The D90/ D300 perfomance was so high, that there was no way really they could make a camera that was much better in the IQ department. You have to remember the D300 was classed as the best APS/DX sensor camera when it was released and the D90 is like a plastic body version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back