Nikon D5300 & Nikon D610

i hope they do, it will drop the prices of the d600, ever so freaking slightly.

My take is I will never see a D400 :( I think they want to release the d600 without the dust issue and charge more money for it :)

My take is I will never see a D400 :( I think they want to release the d600 without the dust issue and charge more money for it :)

Oh you WILL see a D400, it will be announced 5 minutes after you will buy a D7100 (or any other camera for that matter) :mrgreen:

For Nikon its good news, the D600 is an AWESOME camera and no doubt more then few people feel uncomfortable buying the D600 due to its oil spot issue.
Still its not really a new camera, just an upgrade to the D600.
I am waiting to see the D600 replacement, the one that will get rid of its AA filter and will truly be a new model with new technology.
I think once this camera will be out I will not be able to stop myself and GET IT :hail:

Oh you WILL see a D400, it will be announced 5 minutes after you will buy a D7100 (or any other camera for that matter) :mrgreen:

For Nikon its good news, the D600 is an AWESOME camera and no doubt more then few people feel uncomfortable buying the D600 due to its oil spot issue.
I am waiting to see the D600 replacement, the one that will get rid of its AA filter and will truly be a new model with new technology.
I think once this camera will be out I will not be able to stop myself and GET IT :hail:

I'm with Kris. I have little use for a D600 or D610 or any other FX body, but would LOVE to see a new DX model with all of the features of the D7100 and none of the drawbacks (as in that absurdly small shot buffer).

Yeah, sure, a D5300,maybe with built-in Wi-Fi capabilities, sure, makes sense to a younger market obsessed with wireless connectivity, downloading useless apps while at McDonald's, and uploading short video clips directly to Facebook, and those awesome 6-second Vine clips, etc.,etc.. so yeah, sure, Wi-Fi. I mean, WTF, why not, right? Canon did it.Plenty of reason. Canon puts in a feature, Nikon offers something similar. Sure, whatever.

Nikon D610. Sure. Makes total sense. There's even an SB 910 flash...that would make over the counter sales better...sales associates could point out the 610 camera, and the SB 910 flash...in the minds of consumers, the two pieces of equipment would make a perfect matchy-matchy setup! Nikon has already set a precedent with the SB 900 to SB 910 name-switch as a way to differentiate between an imperfect offering, and their "new and improved" model. Makes total sense: the D600 "oil issue" is the EXACT TYPE of internet-era business impediment that was written about almost a decade ago in the internet marketing book, The Cluetrain Manifesto: The End of Business As Usual.

The internet has made product problems, engineering issues, flaws, and quality assurance issues simply HUGE issues for companies trying to mass market products. If a product has a problem, in the internet age, consumers can find out about the issue quickly, and problems tend to be discussed at length, and across the globe. After the "oil issue" took on a life of its own, the D600 model was doomed as an easy-selling, mass-market model. Nikon simply MUST do something about it. The D600 has a reputation that cannot be lived down...Nikon needs to offer a "new model", as quickly as possible, if they want an easy-selling, "safe choice" economy full frame model, and just slapping a new name on the same exact model would be all that is needed.

AA filters are pretty dumb, but simply not putting one in doesn't really qualify as "new technology."

Or are you referring to something else? What are you interested in seeing?

I was talking to my friend at my local area camera shop and he said there not seeing to much of an issue with oil spots on the D600 at least not with the newer stock. However, he also said many people that come in looking for full frame are skipping the D600 going straight for the D800. They where sold out of the 800 that even the demo behind the glass display was gone. I wanted to hold and try one of the D800 but not a chance of it.

Last edited:

I'm with Kris. I have little use for a D600 or D610 or any other FX body, but would LOVE to see a new DX model with all of the features of the D7100 and none of the drawbacks (as in that absurdly small shot buffer).

Actually I need to add and that's speaking from experience improving its low light performance would be nice.
My old D7000 was far better in low light and I don't care what the reviews say that the D7100 is better in low light, I owned both cameras and already on 400ISO the noise it noticeable in low light situation.
Yes the buffer is tiny but that's a non issue for me as I hardly ever use it on burst and when I do I don't need more then one sec but I agree with you that this might be an issue for some.

AA filters are pretty dumb, but simply not putting one in doesn't really qualify as "new technology."

Or are you referring to something else? What are you interested in seeing?
Taking off the AA filter is not the novelty, being able to shoot good pictures without the need of one is.
Something about new algorithm design of the sensor. I honestly don't know much about these things but anything that will make a better picture is fine by me :)

Actually I need to add and that's speaking from experience improving its low light performance would be nice.
My old D7000 was far better in low light and I don't care what the reviews say that the D7100 is better in low light, I owned both cameras and already on 400ISO the noise it noticeable in low light situation.
Yes the buffer is tiny but that's a non issue for me as I hardly ever use it on burst and when I do I don't need more then one sec but I agree with you that this might be an issue for some.
The buffer issue is, as you said, a non-issue to many but I'm not one of them. The buffer on the D7000 is small and the D7100 is even smaller at full resolution. I shoot in bursts a lot, and have filled it on many occasions. When shooting motorsports or birds in flight or jets at an airshow I tend to shoot long bursts and worry about which is best when I get home. In fact, the last time I shot an airshow I used my D90 more than my D7000 simply because the buffer holds more shots.

The buffer issue is, as you said, a non-issue to many but I'm not one of them. The buffer on the D7000 is small and the D7100 is even smaller at full resolution. I shoot in bursts a lot, and have filled it on many occasions. When shooting motorsports or birds in flight or jets at an airshow I tend to shoot long bursts and worry about which is best when I get home. In fact, the last time I shot an airshow I used my D90 more than my D7000 simply because the buffer holds more shots.

Yes, I can understand why this will be an issue for you.
I think for you best is to pray to the Nikon gods to move their a_s and get the D400 out.

I wanted a D4S so D3S prices would come down. I can see why a D610 would need to come out to draw a line under the D600 'problem' but a D5300!?!? I don't get why it need an update at all.

Most reactions

Back