Nikon d5300 starter lenses

bobobo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

Im about to buy my first dslr, and I think it's gonna be the d5300.
My problem is to figure out what kind of lenses, and also which specific models of lenses, are best to start with.
I don't have any experience and my max budget is 1000$ for the lenses.
Can you help me?

Thanks,
Uri

Buy it with a kit lens. I'm not sure what the options are for this model but the 18-105mm or 18-140mm are a good bet. Both are nice walkabout lenses that cover a multitude. After some use you'll figure out if you need more

Hi Uri
Congrats and welcome to the world of photography, Nikon D5300 is an excellent camera, you are in for great time using it.
As for lenses, well there are few things to know and considering.
D5300 is a crop sensor camera so we need to know few things

1.Do you see yourself going full frame in the future ?
2.What do you like photographing ?

Getting a camera that works on crop sensor (DX) will mean you will need to sell it if you move to full frame in the future.
A full frame (FX) lens will work on DX camera yet it isnt recommended to use DX lenses on FX camera.

Different lenses specialized in doing different things like General use, Macro, Telephoto, Wide Angel for Landscaping and much more.

I will make the assumption you are going to buy general use lenses for now then I will recommend you these lenses, if you give us more specific info I might change my recommendation.

1.Nikon 18-55mm VR (DX)
2.Nikon 70-300mm VR (FX)
3.Nikon 50mm 1.8G

First lens is extremely common lens, does a nice job for general use and is mostly limited due to its smaller focal range
Second lens is a very good and sharp telephoto lens (for its price) which you will be able to use on both FX and DX cameras
Third is a prime lens (Non Zoom Lens) which will serve you for portraits and low light condition

This is a very good start and should cost you around your budget, I had all these 3 lenses and found them to be good for beginners and advance.

I could have recommended the Nikon 18-140mm VR instead of the Nikon 18-55mm VR but then you would have money left only for the 70-300mm and not the 50mm 1.8G
Going for the 18-140mm VR and 70-300mm VR only is an option, it will give you more focal flexibility but you will not have a good lens for portrait and no lens for low light.

Both my recommendations are good but each has its pro's and con's

Good luck :)

Yeah, I think probably just start with the kit lens and figure out where you want to go from there. That being said, here are my favorite lenses that will autofocus on a D5300:

3) Tamron 60mm f/2 macro/portrait hybrid - You simultaneously get a great portrait and macro lens in one shot. Usually $400-$500 sometimes cheaper if you can find it used

2) Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 II - You'll need the mark II version to autofocus with your camera. IMHO the best UWA out there for DX

1) Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G - Cheap, sharp and fast. Usually around $150-$200 depending on if you can find it used (there is one for sale in the for sale forum here, wink nudge). Probably the most versatile prime out there for DX cameras that will autofocus with the D5300.

Most reactions

Back