Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Executive summary:
*Small
*Light
*Very fast in low light
*Very good at locking focus
*Fun!

Paid a bit extra for the D5500, knowing that the 5200 and 5300 were substantially similar for less cash. I can't say it was a no-brainer, but it was a decision I don't regret. The D5500 is a bit smaller and lighter than the 5300, and has a bit better low-light capabilities. Gave up GPS, which I would have liked, but it pulls on the battery and is reputed to be spotty in coverage. I think that the D5300 is a shrewder buy, but I just wasn't in a shrewd mood. ;)

I was upgrading from a Canon T3i (which is a fine camera in its own right), and I'm finding the improvement to be significant. Speaking of improvement, I bought the body only, and elected to use the 18-55 from my old D40 until better lenses are selected. Wow- that 'kit' lens never impressed me on the D40, but it is doing beautifully on the D5500!

Some of you may recall my earlier resolve to go full-frame this time around, but after much consideration, I decided that what I REALLY should get at this point in my life was one easy-to-tote camera. Want to (hopefully) either upgrade to a 7xxx series crop-body Nikon later and keep this one as the backup, or else make the jump to FF later...

For NOW, I just can't believe how much more 'competent' this camera feels and shoots when compared to either the ancient D40 or the less-ancient-but-still-not-new Canon.

No pics worthy of pubishing on the net yet, but after a few experiments- I intend to put a few up to show the before/after of going from the D40 to the D5500.

Very pleased, so far.

EDIT: here are a few random pics (not artistically impressive, but at least it's something...). All shot with the 'kit' lens from my old D40.

All that was around was trees, so:
DSC_0392_zpsdyfbbfze.jpg

But wait, there's more (took liberties with the sky hue, but):
DSC_0266.1_zpsxkjr9cxn.jpg

Sun thru the trees:
DSC_0213_zpsqiril1qg.jpg

Nothing but trees! Oh, and a drone (in front of the trees- bokeh is totally shopped {sorry}):
DSC_0376.1drone_zps5svizu7j.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear you like the new 5500. Can't wait to see some of your work with the new equipment.

I remember going from the 16 mp D5100 to the 24 mp D5200, and while I really didn't think it would be that big of an upgrade it really was a huge step up. It wasn't so much one particular thing, it was a combination of a lot of little things that really made the big difference. I found the same thing when I went from the 5200 to the 7100 - it wasn't so much one feature improvement that was leaps and bounds better than my previous camera body, it was a combination of a lot of little things together that really did make a big difference.

Glad to hear you like the new 5500. Can't wait to see some of your work with the new equipment.

I remember going from the 16 mp D5100 to the 24 mp D5200, and while I really didn't think it would be that big of an upgrade it really was a huge step up. It wasn't so much one particular thing, it was a combination of a lot of little things that really made the big difference. I found the same thing when I went from the 5200 to the 7100 - it wasn't so much one feature improvement that was leaps and bounds better than my previous camera body, it was a combination of a lot of little things together that really did make a big difference.
I know, right? It's just a better experience overall when several things (some big, some small) improve!

Congratulation, you got yourself and excellent camera!!!

Enjoy it in good health :)

You just gotta love newer technology !!

Congratulations, Sounds like a lot of fun. I will be doing something similar this weekend if all goes well upgrading from a D50 and Canon T3 to a D7200 with the Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. Since I usually use a 250 mm zoom on the T3 It makes sense. I too will be using the kit lens from the D50 since I dont use those focal lengths that often. Its good to hear you have seen quite a difference on the D5500 with the old kit lens. Of course the old cameras will still be here. I just cant seem to part with old cameras and still pull them out from time to time.

Took some hand-held night shots that came out amazingly well the other night. I was a chaperone at a youth retreat and was asked to take some yearbook pics. This camera needs very little light!

State of the art cameras are enjoyable.

Original post edited to add couple of photos!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back