Nikon D60 vs Nikon D40x

Jaskaran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please suggest me which camera should i opt for..
so here is my question......
which one is the best in comparison to Nikon D60 and Nikon D40x?
my pocket may vary few dollars up & down.

Well i am a newbie in photography world... with only little knowledge, which is very dangerous..lol..
but I need a strong suggestion that can help in deciding that which is best amongst them..
I need picture quality more preferred than that of price suffering & moreover i want to spent my valued money for the next coming 10 years..
Lens compatibility is also to be kept in mind.

please help

Just an FYI. There is absolutely no reason to post the same thread in multiple areas on the forum. Choose the section you think is best and post it once.

If the lens selection is important, then you should look at the D80 or D90, or Canon Rebel's. The D40 and D60 lack an AF motor in the body. This means you are limited in the lenses you can buy for your camera that will have autofocus capability. This also restricts the 3rd party lenses you can buy which will autofocus too.

Agreed. If I had to do it over again and I knew I was going to get as deep into photography as I am now, I would have gotten a D80 instead of a D40.

If the the D40 and related's small factor is a must for you, then just get the D40 instead of the D40x or D60.

Agreed. If I had to do it over again and I knew I was going to get as deep into photography as I am now, I would have gotten a D80 instead of a D40.

same.

The lack of ISO 100, no mirror lock-up, and no bracketing are my top 3 reasons I wish I'd have spent a bit more. (The lack of an AF motor doesn't bother me much since I don't have any existing lenses and don't plan on buy many of them, but it seems to make a lot of people cranky.) Everything else seemed out of my price range, but had i just gone for it I think I'd be a bit happier. Lesson learned! :)

If you can find the D60 for 550, get it. If not, then get the D40 and be happy. Yea the D80 or D90 is a better camera, but the D90 is in another price range and D80's are not that easy to find.

Now, what you should really do is get the D200 from best buy right now for $599. It's pretty much the best deal for a DSLR right now...then just pick up a 50mm f1.8 for a lil over $100 and use that for a while.

If you can find the D60 for 550, get it. If not, then get the D40 and be happy. Yea the D80 or D90 is a better camera, but the D90 is in another price range and D80's are not that easy to find.

Now, what you should really do is get the D200 from best buy right now for $599. It's pretty much the best deal for a DSLR right now...then just pick up a 50mm f1.8 for a lil over $100 and use that for a while.

What he said.

...so here is my question......

So to answer the OPs actual question instead of discussing other equipment (D40, D80, D200, ...), IMHO the D60 wins hands down. You should only condider the D40x if there is a large price difference and price is very important to you.

The two have the same basic feature set and use essentially the same sensor system. The significant differences are:

1. The D60 has an integrated dust removal system to reduce sensor dust
2. The D60's "kit" lens has VR (vibration reduction).

There are also some small improvements (so they say) in the menus and a somewhat improved image processing engine. All small issues not likely to show in real life.

So to answer the OPs actual question instead of discussing other equipment (D40, D80, D200, ...),

This is what my real question was. i want suggestion from the above mentioned two products and not variety of products available.
Thanks everyone for there suggestions...
more suggestions welcomed anytime.

This is what my real question was. i want suggestion from the above mentioned two products and not variety of products available.
Thanks everyone for there suggestions...
more suggestions welcomed anytime.
Can you define what you meant by "lens compatibility"?

I wouldn't buy either. +1 on the D80 or D90. Hell, I'd buy a used D70S over a D40/D60. Actually... D200s can be had for ~$600-700 now. Buy one of those.

Please suggest me which camera should i opt for..
so here is my question......
my pocket may vary few dollars up & down.

Well i am a newbie in photography world... with only little knowledge, which is very dangerous..lol..
but I need a strong suggestion that can help in deciding that which is best amongst them..
I need picture quality more preferred than that of price suffering & moreover i want to spent my valued money for the next coming 10 years..
Lens compatibility is also to be kept in mind.

please help
Except for small differences they are the same camera. Get the D60 because it is the newer version. As it is, the D40X has been discontinued by Nikon because they were virtually the same camera.

Lens compatibility with what?

Nikon has had the same f-mount since the late 1950's. So virtually any Nikon lens will fit on either camera.

To keep the camera bodies compact on these cameras Nikon put the auto focus motor in the lenses not in the camera body. However Nikon makes a wide range of lenses (with auto focus motors) that auto focus just fine on either of these cameras and any other Nikon DSLR made today.

There are Nikon lenses that will not Auto Focus on either camera because they don't have a focus motor built in. If you don't mind manually focusing you can still use those lenses.

Now. As others have mentioned: Currently www.bestbuy.com is selling the Nikon D200 for a very good price. The image quality of the D200 is on par with the D60 but the D200 is a much better camera overall. It has many features absent on the D60 thus allowing much more artistic creativity than the D60.

The D200 is a somewhat larger and heavier camera but I recommend you give it serious consideration.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back