Nikon D60, what do u think?

darkophoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, i'm new on this forum and i have to ask something..

I found to buy Nikon D60 with 18-55m lens.
What do u think about this DSLR camera?

It's a great 'first' DSLR.

Sorry for disagreeing with first 2 replies but the D60 is OLD, low light performance is not good enough, wouldn't buy it unless it was given to me for free.
Frankly I wouldn't buy anything bellow Nikon D5100 or Nikon D3200.

If I wouldn't be able to afford one of these 2 then I would keep saving till I had the money to get them.

Thank u so much...
I'm using Nikon coolpix L810, and i decided to change my camera..

Sorry for disagreeing with first 2 replies but the D60 is OLD, low light performance is not good enough, wouldn't buy it unless it was given to me for free.

If I wouldn't be able to afford one of these 2 then I would keep saving till I had the money to get them.

Well, maybe so, but the 5100 and 3200 aren't exactly stellar with low light either. Better, but not stellar.
And a D60 blows away a cell phone or point and shoot. If it's the only thing in budget, it's makes a great little camera.
Hell, I've sold endless landscapes from a D40 and D90 in the past...

Yeah...it would make you have to settle for pictures like these...
22085069.jpg

14691052.jpg

14747078.jpg

Oh, no wait, these three were all taken with even OLDER d-slrs, from the 6-megapixel era...or even the 3 MP era...

I tend to agree with this. I have a D60 and it's 5-year-old technology. Even moderate ISO performance (as in ISO 400) is pretty bad. It doesn't have a lot of resolution, 10mp as I recall. The bottom line is that 5 years ago it was a decent entry-level body however based on today's technology it has been left far behind.

My first DSLR was Sony a300, at the time it was a very good camera for the money.
Its roughly compatible to the D60.

When I sold my Sony a300 and got my Nikon D7000 (which has same sensor as the D5100) it was like I walked into a new century!!!
1600iso meant A LOT of noise on the Sony.
Comparing it to the Nikon D7000 then I would say they has roughly same low light performance when the D7000 was on 6400ISO.
A buddy of mine had Sony a200 which is same as the Sony a300 but with few less bells and whistles but has same hardware saw the low light performance of the D7000 and he couldn't get enough of the D7000 and today he is a proud owner of a new D7100.
BTW D60 Max natural ISO is 1600 ISO

There is a big low light differences between the D60 and D5100 and is worth waiting for it.
That's my opinion of course and only my opinion based on what I read and try.

Gotta watch out though. Looks like you can buy this bad boy on Amazon with an 18-55 kit lens for.. $1080. ONLY TWO LEFT!

Shop around a bit and make sure you're getting a good deal.

The D60 was my first DSLR and it's where I learned the fundamentals of photography. In good light it takes great photos and it's a perfect cheap beginner camera to get you started.

Derrel I am but dust at your feet when it comes to photography, what I know you have forgotten and I mean this with the utmost respect but showing gorgeous pictures taken with old cameras is not the point.
I saw stunning pictures taken with Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens.
In the right light condition I can take excellent pictures with my cell phone but a modern camera is a MUCH more flexible tool that can serve the user well in many more light situations.

I still think the D60 is old and best is get a D5100 or D3200

I think first of all, we need to know what kind of deal the OP is getting on the D60.
second of all, we need to know what the OP's overall budget is for buying a DSLR package.
THEN we can start suggesting what the OP should or should not buy.

Most reactions

Back