Nikon D600 AF front/back focus issues

enerlevel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi all,
Just recently I purchased a Nikon D600 with 35mm f1.8FX lens. I noticed that close distance, the lens would focus just fine but at long distance, it was back focusing by a big margin.
I sent the camera to Nikon and they confirmed the problem and asked me to pay £89. no defect was found in the lens.
now the camera focuses spot on at long distance but the close up shots are back focusing.
moreover, ever since the camera has come back from Nikon, the Focal software always gives me an "No Target found" error...
after trying to fix this for 2 days and with 100+ shots, I have now found that the auto focus set to -15 seems to work just fine.
so is this normal behaviour? I thought once it is back from Nikon, I would not need any fine tune specially on a lens that I gave to them to calibrate with... (35mm f1.8)
This is not the first time that I see the lens front/back focus with Nikon cameras... so is this a wide spread problem for Nikon?

Nikon had quite a few problems in a not so distant past, so this doesn't surprise me too much. Did you try to contact them afterwards? I don't think you should need to calibrate your lens AFTER it was supposed to be calibrated (and you even paid for it!).

Most reactions

Back