Nikon D600 - Entry Level FX Full Frame DSLR!!!

gsgary said:
Is nobody capable of manual focus thats all we have with Leica

Get over yourself, Gary.

You've been quite vocal about your usage of AF on your canon gear over the years. Who cares about overpriced manual focus cameras besides people that make remarks like the one you made in the quoted post?

gsgary said:
Is nobody capable of manual focus thats all we have with Leica

Get over yourself, Gary.

You've been quite vocal about your usage of AF on your canon gear over the years. Who cares about overpriced manual focus cameras besides people that make remarks like the one you made in the quoted post?

Aw, leave Gary alone Ty...he's a grouchy old Briton...anyway... Leica manual focus lenses have precision helicoid focusing, with long focus throws and wonderful mechanical "feel" with "dampening"...they are actually DESIGNED TO BE focused manually, with human power AND human "brain and eye" decision-making running the show...new AF lenses are sloppy, loosey-goosey, and often have RIDICULOUSLY SHORT focus ring travel at distances from Infinity and inward to about 3 meters...move that focusing ring 1 millimeter, and on MANY AF lenses, that will re-focus the lens "somewhere" between Infinity and 90 feet...and the next millimeter will move the lens from 90 feet to 15 feet...

ANd then there are the viewfinder screens themselves....and the tiny, crop-body finders...a Leica M-series focuses like a fricking DREAM!!!!!!! I picked one up the other day, an M4 and a sexy f/1.4 Leica lens, and was flabbergasted by how bright and sharp and clear the rfdr patch was...I locked focus in about 1/2 second on a camera I had never ever picked up in my life...I was like, "Man...this is a sweet ride!"

Derrel said:
Aw, leave Gary alone Ty...he's a grouchy old Briton...anyway... Leica manual focus lenses have precision helicoid focusing, with long focus throws and wonderful mechanical "feel" with "dampening"...they are actually DESIGNED TO BE focused manually, with human power AND human "brain and eye" decision-making running the show...new AF lenses are sloppy, loosey-goosey, and often have RIDICULOUSLY SHORT focus ring travel at distances from Infinity and inward to about 3 meters...move that focusing ring 1 millimeter, and on MANY AF lenses, that will re-focus the lens "somewhere" between Infinity and 90 feet...and the next millimeter will move the lens from 90 feet to 15 feet...

ANd then there are the viewfinder screens themselves....and the tiny, crop-body finders...a Leica M-series focuses like a fricking DREAM!!!!!!! I picked one up the other day, an M4 and a sexy f/1.4 Leica lens, and was flabbergasted by how bright and sharp and clear the rfdr patch was...I locked focus in about 1/2 second on a camera I had never ever picked up in my life...I was like, "Man...this is a sweet ride!"

Sweet until you get the bill. Lawl
I assume Leica users are some of the most loyal out of the triad because of the HUGE investment.

From a mechanical, "how it feels in your hands" standpoint I can see how Leica is the awesomest, but from a practicality standpoint, I just couldn't justify the purchase.

Last edited:
It's very difficult to explain the allure of Leica cameras and lenses to a person who came of age AFTER film had already been diminished to almost nothing in mass culture. Leica fans are not loyal because of the huge investment...it's something much,much different than that. I don't want this to sound condescending, but it probably has a good chance of being taken that way: you're too young to understand the difference between a LIFETIME-grade piece of equipment, like a Leica lens that costs $4,900, and a disposable Japanese lens that retails for $249, and has VERY SIMILAR specifications, at first glance. One is a literally lifetime-grade lens, made to the absolutely highest standards, and the other is a plastic lens made for a throwaway culture, designed NOT for the absolute perfection in performance and imaging, but to hit a price point, and to turn a tidy profit, for a mass-market audience that demands cheap,disposable-grade goods.

It would take 10,000 words or more to explain the allure of Leica. Until you've actually held one, and used one, it's impossible to understand what crap the Japanese make. Photography does not exist

The D600 will have an AF motor.

Its visible on the leaked photos.

Well the D600 will probably soon be published, so maybe not. :)

I dont know how much weight I'd put on the D600 leaked photos. The camera has an adjustment dial like in the cheapest consumer cameras and green/auto modes. Really?

You go out to get a new FX camera that will require the most expensive FX glass to be used properly but have the most basic consumer adjustment options and scene modes??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back