Nikon D600 Pre-Order

Hell no.

The D600 is in no man's land. The D7000 is 90% the same camera, minus the sensor and a few other irrelevant upgrades...for less than half the price. The D800 has the flagship AF package, a significantly better meter, much higher resolution, a dedicated AF-ON button and a whole lot of minor convenience features the D600 is lacking...for only $900 more.

The main customers for the D600 and the MWACs and people who don't do their homework.

PS. I'm not even going to discuss the options available in the used market. There are tons of better options for $2099.

jamesbjenkins said:
Hell no.

The D600 is in no man's land. The D7000 is 90% the same camera, minus the sensor and a few other irrelevant upgrades...for less than half the price. The D800 has the flagship AF package, a significantly better meter, much higher resolution, a dedicated AF-ON button and a whole lot of minor convenience features the D600 is lacking...for only $900 more.

The main customers for the D600 and the MWACs and people who don't do their homework.

PS. I'm not even going to discuss the options available in the used market. There are tons of better options for $2099.

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather grab a cheap clean d700.

ChristopherCoy said:
Anyone who is even remotely informed, or up to date on Nikon products feels the same way.

If I were to spend a little over $2k on that, I would get the d800. I just don't need 36MP. I'm sure the d600 is going to be more the capable in outstanding images but from value standpoint, I see more value in a d800 In the build and AF system alone.

Some people just want the sensor, and don't really give much of a damn for other features. They'll buy the sensor in the cheapest available package.

People like, say, me. Not that I am going to buy it, I'm not interested in spending money on gear these days. But if I was in the market for a DSLR, all I would care about is the sensor. Everything else can be managed.

amolitor said:
Everything else can be managed.

All those other features you so readily relegate to obsolescence are what separate the camera a pro or semi-pro buys versus what some uninformed hack with gear lust buys. The MWAC at Best Buy sees 24MP and says "ooh, that's a better camera!" I'm surprised hear such a short-sided statement from you.

I'm hoping people are pre-ordering like mad so I can pick up a ~$1400 D700

I'm actually a little worried the D600 is going to drive up the price of a used D700. A lot of people were holding out for this announcement and are disappointed.

amolitor said:
Everything else can be managed.

All those other features you so readily relegate to obsolescence are what separate the camera a pro or semi-pro buys versus what some uninformed hack with gear lust buys. The MWAC at Best Buy sees 24MP and says "ooh, that's a better camera!" I'm surprised hear such a short-sided statement from you.

Oh, I didn't say that everyone buys a camera for the sensor only. I said that some people do, and identified myself as one of those people.

If you want to shoot underwater, you need pretty specific gear. I don't want to.
If you want to shoot sports, you need pretty specific gear. I don't want to.
If you want to shoot weddings and similar events, you need some not quite so specific but still pretty specific gear. I don't want to.
etc...

This kind of things *I* do, all I want is a box of darkness with some film or a sensor at the back and a lens on the front. If it has wiggles, sweet. Everything else can be managed. Not necessarily easily, but it can be, and I am willing to do so.

The point being, the market for a box of darkness with a kickass sensor at the back of it and an F-mount on the front is non-empty.

I'm actually a little worried the D600 is going to drive up the price of a used D700. A lot of people were holding out for this announcement and are disappointed.

Yeah... but those that were holding out may end up springing for the D800 instead. Most people think MP's are the reason to upgrade and don't want to be left behind at 12 measly little megapixels.

I picked up my used D700 back at the end of May knowing about the D600 rumors. I paid $1,800 with around 3k shutter count. Super clean!!! After this D600 announcement, I am still more than happy with my D700 purchase! A few days ago, I was thinking about selling my D7000 backup camera and putting that money towards the new D600 but I think I'm just going to keep my D7000.

The D600 seems very nice, but I would probably go for a D800 next if anything (sell my D7000 to help fund it). I'll wait a while before I do anything.

I picked up my used D700 back at the end of May knowing about the D600 rumors. I paid $1,800 with around 3k shutter count. Super clean!!! After this D600 announcement, I am still more than happy with my D700 purchase! A few days ago, I was thinking about selling my D7000 backup camera and putting that money towards the new D600 but I think I'm just going to keep my D7000.

The D600 seems very nice, but I would probably go for a D800 next if anything (sell my D7000 to help fund it). I'll wait a while before I do anything.

How do you feal about the size and weight of the D700? I don't plan on having more than one DSLR, and I'm not sure I would like lugging the D700 around on a vacation. That is one aspect of the D600 that appealed to me.

I THOUGHT about pre-ordering a D600 last night about two minutes after B&H slapped up their In Depth article about it as soon as the press embargo was lifted...but I just bought a used D3x six weeks ago, so I have that resolution covered. I want to SEE through a camera before I buy it. I'm afraid the D600's viewfinder will be as bad a fit for me and my eyeglasses/eyesight as is the D7000, since it is basically built using Nikon's well-proven parts-sharing manufacturing method. It does however, seem like a nice,small camera, only 26.8 ounces in weight, and a half-profile body, so it could be used without a grip when a guy (or gal!) wants to go incognito. I dunno...I might buy one, but then again, I'm pretty well "set" right now, camera-wise. And, this is the BIG thing: somebody on this board asked me which Nikon I really wanted, and I told him, "What Nikon do *I* want? I want the NEXT Nikon! The one that comes out AFTER this new one is announced!"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back