Nikon D600 vs D7100

I know this has been asked before but I'm still a little unsure about some things.

I currently have a D7100 and would like to go FF for the low light performance and because I don't want to keep sinking money in DX glass. I'm going to keep the D7100 and use it with my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS lens because I love the way this combo performs.

My question is about the focusing systems between the two. It's my understanding that the focus system on the D7100 is better... is that just because it has more focus points? Does the D7100 focus faster as well? What are the focus system advantages over the D600? I'm not too concerned about the amount of focus points so I want to know if there's anything else I'm missing.

My concern is that if I decide to update to a FF zoom lens I want to make sure it performs as well as the D7100/Sigma 50-150 combo.

Any other thoughts or things I should know about going from a D7100 to D600?

I made this same decision a few months back but I was using a Nikon 70-200 on my D7100. I loved the focus system on the D7100 and I mainly shoot for the National Tiger Sanctuary and with local models. For the style of photography I deal with the D610 has been great. To answer one of your questions about performing as well as your D7100 with your Sigma lens.... in my opinion as long as you put good glass on the D600 it will exceed the performance of your current set up.... I was going to keep the D7100 but moving to a full frame was such an improvement for me I just sold the D7100 and going to put that money into another Nikon lens......

I also shoot for a local sports bar and a few weeks back they had a bikini contest, of course the lighting was terrible..... the D610 had no focus issues with the low light and I was shooting at ISO 5,000.... the manager and the girls all loved the results....I think you will be very happy with the D600 body.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it! This thread has tons of great info and has covered everything I was looking for, and then some. I'm going to go through this again when I have a little more time.

Thanks again!

I have had both the D7100 and the D600, And apart from low light performance of the D600, I prefer the D7100 for everything else, though i would have a look at the D7200 now unless you can get a good deal on the D7100 and you do not need any of the newer features.

John.

I have had both the D7100 and the D600, And apart from low light performance of the D600, I prefer the D7100 for everything else, though i would have a look at the D7200 now unless you can get a good deal on the D7100 and you do not need any of the newer features.

John.
Choosing a camera especially already good cameras like the D7100/D7200 or D600/D610 is not easy, it really is a matter of what you shoot, your style of shooting and just as important the size of your pocket.
For me the move to FX was almost a world changer, I still own and use DX camera but most of my shoots are done with FX.
All very personal.

I also shoot for a local sports bar and a few weeks back they had a bikini contest, of course the lighting was terrible..... the D610 had no focus issues with the low light and I was shooting at ISO 5,000.... the manager and the girls all loved the results....I think you will be very happy with the D600 body.

I think you should post a few samples and let the forum see how bad the lighting really was. :biggrin-93:

I prefer the extra reach of a cropped sensor over the better the low light capability's of an full sensor, also as has been mentioned the D600 focus points are all clustered in the middle of the finder compared to the D7100, where they are more spread out.

Horses for courses i suppose.

Anyway i only buy mirrowless camera`s these day`s, I like the simplicity of the internals, not like a dslr with all that ironmongery flying about inside, throwing up dust and oil and causing vibration, plus with an evf of today`s quality you get a much better idea of what your photo`s are going to look like without having to check the lcd all the time.

I think within 10 years dslr`s will start to disappeared just like slr camera`s did, of course you still get people running round with box brownies, and laughed at those new fanged dslr things, but they are in the minority.

I dont know anybody in my family or friends that actually use a real camera any-more, and i mean a compact camera, they all use their cell/mobile phones.

I started out with a Practica BC1 and BX20 with 50mm len`s years ago, my first digital camera was an whole 0.3mp vga 640x480 but i was amazed at the time, and some of the printed photo`s still look good.

John.

John.
Choosing a camera especially already good cameras like the D7100/D7200 or D600/D610 is not easy, it really is a matter of what you shoot, your style of shooting and just as important the size of your pocket.
For me the move to FX was almost a world changer, I still own and use DX camera but most of my shoots are done with FX.
All very personal.

I prefer the extra reach of a cropped sensor over the better the low light capability's of an full sensor, also as has been mentioned the D600 focus points are all clustered in the middle of the finder compared to the D7100, where they are more spread out.

Horses for courses i suppose.

Anyway i only buy mirrowless camera`s these day`s, I like the simplicity of the internals, not like a dslr with all that ironmongery flying about inside, throwing up dust and oil and causing vibration, plus with an evf of today`s quality you get a much better idea of what your photo`s are going to look like without having to check the lcd all the time.

I think within 10 years dslr`s will start to disappeared just like slr camera`s did, of course you still get people running round with box brownies, and laughed at those new fanged dslr things, but they are in the minority.

I dont know anybody in my family or friends that actually use a real camera any-more, and i mean a compact camera, they all use their cell/mobile phones.

I started out with a Practica BC1 and BX20 with 50mm len`s years ago, my first digital camera was an whole 0.3mp vga 640x480 but i was amazed at the time, and some of the printed photo`s still look good.

John.

John.
All very personal.

Yepp John as I said all very personal, if your system does what you need/ask it to do then thats the right tool for you.
BTW if I am not mistaking (and if I am I am sure I will get **** for this mistake)mirrorless still have shutter mechnism in their bodies they simply got rid of the mirror so there is still moving stuff that can break in it.

Yeah, they still do but some now use leaf shutter`s that are virtually silent, also at least in my Nikon 1 i can get 1/4000 with the mechanical shutter or up to 1/16000 with the electronic shutter which is totally silent, I know some electronic shutters can have problems.

John.

I think sometimes it comes down to ergonomics. Some people prefer the size and weight of a DSLR like I do and also prefer the optical viewfinder. EVFs have become really good these days and they get better each time, but still no match against a optical viewfinder (in my opinion of course). DSLR's are just bigger cameras, they can fit bigger batteries, better and faster processors, more physical buttons, etc. Sure, I think you might see an evolutionary change to a DSLR, they might do away with the mirror..but I still think you are going to have larger camera bodies with better grips.

I think the A6000, Sony A7s, Fuji systems, even the Samsung NX1 are fantastic mirrorless cameras, but I don't think they are for everyone. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, it's really up to you to decide what you want.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and in 20 years all cameras will be like this. lol
31vf3vL+H3L.jpg

Last edited:
Only if the world is taken over by giants.

Everybody is an photographer now, as everybody has an phone with a camera, so where is the increase in photo`s of aliens or lock ness monster type photo, it just proves to me, 99.9% was fake, but were are so use to not trusting what we seen in photo`s on the tv or internet , an alien invasion could get a foothold before anybody believes it is happening, :bouncingsmileys:

John.

Most reactions

Back