Nikon D610 Auto DX Mode on or off?

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

I am new to owning a full frame camera. I found the 'Auto DX Crop on or off' setting under the Image Area option. The auto DX mode is set to the 'on' setting. Below the Auto DX crop option is a 'Choose the image area setting. It has FX and DX choice of setting. FX is 36x24 and DX 24x16. Right now it is set to FX 36x24. The camera is set to Auto DX Crop on and the FX mode is set to 36x24. I am using a 24x120 F4 lens. Are those settings okay for that lens? I really have no idea what I am looking at. I have an instruction book and I read about this option. But I'm still not sure what I read. Sometimes it helps to have someone explain it.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Last edited:
Auto DX simply means the camera will automatically switch to DX shooting mode (24x16) when a DX lens is attached. While you'll end up with fewer pixels, you don't have to worry about cropping in post.... it's done in-camera for you.

Okay, so it's safe to leave it in Auto DX mode. How about the option down below. Is it okay to leave it set on FX?

If you leave it on FX mode, you'll shoot in FX mode even with a DX lens. So you'll have to crop out the vignetting in post.

Okay, it's a little clearer now. I appreciate your help.

There are some DX lenses that pretty much fill up an FX sensor. So shooting in FX mode can be advantageous in those cases as shooting in DX mode would crop out usable pixels.

that's an FX lens so you don't need to worry about it anyway.

I think the only advantage to auto-dx mode, or dx mode in general, is if you don't wanna crop in post. But IIRC, if you shoot raw, you still get the full image...

A couple of years ago I bought a used Nikon D610 and I took it out just try it out. On the first hour of the first day day that I had it, I assumed that it was set to FX, but I was actually using the camera in DX mode when I took some photos of these prickly flowers. I was using a mid-1970s example of a Nikon 500 mm f/8 catadioptric or mirror lens. I had composed for a full frame image, but was given a 24 by 16 mm or "DX" image.

"Ooops!"

DSC_7808_500mm Nikkor-3.JPG

Mine is set to Auto DX Mode Off because the only DX lenses I mount - my fisheye Nikkor AF 10.5mm f2.8 G DX Fisheye - I want to shoot at full frame because then I can freely pick the aspect ratio I prefer.

Most reactions

Back