nikon d610...

cwindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
camera shopping is driving me insane. I have been looking at the D700, which people know on this forum, and the d750 but unfortunaly the d700 was sold and the d750 is slightly out of price range :(

Would the d610 be a good upgrade to my d5100? (I know I have to swap lenses, which I will be getting the nikkor 70-200 or Tamron version for nikon!) I capture equine photography, and I feel the metering may be a bit of a problem with it being quite close together?

I own D610. In my opinion and many great reviews. Would not trade . Ed

I would say that the D610 would be a significant upgrade from a DXX00 body, but I'm not sure what you mean by the metering being "close together".

Shes' talking about the 39 focus points. Not as spread out like the d700.

I do alot of soccer, and some equine last year. I didn't really have any problem with the focus points.

Camera shopping can be insane. You just have to look at what you can afford at your budget level.

The d6x0 is a fantastic camera for the money. A huge step up from your current camera.

The features I would like to have to my d600 would essentially make it a d750, which of course costs more and out of my budget.

Most of the focusing will be done centrally, so the 39 AF points ought to be plenty. A D610 would be a major step up from the D5100, especially at higher ISO levels. The used D600 models in my city were priced at $900, $950, and $1150 with accessories, this week. If you want to see how the D660 series performs on action, watch Jared's D600 review, 34 minutes long.

I just went from a D7100 to a D610 last week and Friday night did my first shoot with it and extremely happy, I think it would be a huge step up from what you have now and I also use the 70-200, great combination. I honestly didn't think I would notice much of a difference unless I was in low light situations but I was wrong, the pics in general just look better to me....sample shot with the D610 & 70-200....

View attachment 98717

One of the (if not THE) biggest differences I noticed going from a d7100 to a d600 was the amount of exposure recovery that could be done with little to no noise. I purposely underexposed some test shots at ISO 100 and was able to bring them up 1.5-2 full stops without introducing any noise into the picture. None.
That's something I just couldn't do on the d7000 or d7100.
It gave me a lot more fixable wiggle room in low light situations without having to soften pictures with heavy noise reduction.

The other big change was that my 70-200 became my "go to" lens instead of just something for long outdoor shots.

The D610 is simply a batter camera then the D700.
It will be a big jump from your current camera.
I would pick up the D610 anyday over any DX camera and the D700, the sensor on it is awesome and the AF system is really much better then you might think, yes its not as good as the 51 AF points especially on the new D7200, D750, D810 but its very good for most that you will need and more.

Good luck.

The D610 is a HUGE upgrade over your D5100. Just make sure you get nice lenses for full frame to take advantage of the awesome FX sensor.

I was wedding guest shooting a wedding with my D600 over the weekend. Coincidentally, so were the two paid photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back