Nikon D70 file conflict problems

PFReader

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My Nikon D70 has rolled over 4 times. This means I'm getting thousands of file conflict problems when I try to deal with them on my computer.

I was hoping my D70 would let me rename a file when it's shot (so I can find it faster later), but it doesn't.

Apparently the prefix can be changed, however. This doesn't solve my problem, but it would help. Individual folders don't help. Not only do I not have time to mess around with folders when I'm shooting hundreds of pics in a short period of time, but it doesn't solve the file conflicts when I move them to my computer and reorganize them, sometimes in the same folders.

So, I think I might have a partial solution. I could get 3 more memory cards and use each one for a different purpose. Then, at least I know what kind of image I'm offloading. But... this won't work unless I can set a custom prefix for each card to prevent file conflicts when I move them all to the computer.

So my question is this (before I spend money I don't have right now on three more cards).. is the prefix stored on the card's file system, or in the camera's memory. If it's in camera memory, it might not help me. If all it does is change the prefix in the D70, rather than writing out the prefix on the card, so it recognizes each card individually, then I'm out of luck.

Thanks in advance. Any other suggestions about name files appreciated. Even a file image browser doesn't help me too much, since I take massive numbers of pictures and finding a specific one is very difficult and yet I need to be able to do it. If I could narrow the search by a factor of four by using four cards, it would help a great deal.

So, does anyone know if the prefix is stored on board or on the card? Or does someone have two cards and can try it before I spend money on more cards?

You could have either Bridge or lightroom add a new Prefix to your file such as the Year shot to avoid conflicks...IF you use either of them

It's not in the Card

Thanks much for such a quick reply.

I wish renaming by date would help, I guess maybe it would a little... but I roll over more than once in a year. I just checked and it turns out I've actually rolled over 5 or 6 times. I take a lot of product shots, 7 pics of each product, 20 products an hour sometimes, and I take many nature shots (which means lots of pics in rapid succession as my subject tears off into the distance), so the frequency of rollovers will always be a problem.

It's bad news that it's not stored on the card. Stupid too. It's technically very easy to drop a temp file on the card to keep track of the prefix.

Most reactions

Back