Nikon d700

It's a nice, 12 MP sensor, not all "that" demanding of any telephoto lenses used on it. Plenty of options: 70-200 VR-1, 70-200 VR-2 f/2.8; 70-200 AF_S VR-G f/4; 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 AFS-VRG; Tamron on Tokina 70-200 f/2.8 models, older 80-200/2.8 AF-S.

Budget is a factor. I left out some lenses.

Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC is a fantastic lens new or used and relatively very affordable.

Looking for a lens 70-200mm or 70-300mm. Does anyone have an suggestions? I'm shooting Nikon d700.
Theres a ***load of excellent telephoto zooms for Nikon.

AI-S 80-200mm f4.5 "N" - I got one of these, simply because it was so cheap (50 euros). Historically the first really good Nikon telephoto zoom, and except for the newest FL wunderkind, its probably the sharpest, too. Its no fun to use though (push pull, it pumps air in and out when you move the push pull, too, of course manual focus only, and the combined focus/focal length slider needs to be held in place by hand), and as a matter of fact I just dont really need a telephoto zoom. Still, its incredibly small and all metal well built and has internal focus and zoom, i.e. the length stays the same.

AF 70-200mm f4 - This zoom is also optically great, and comes with autofocus. No image stabilization yet for this old thing of course. Get a monopod or other support, or use high enough shutterspeeds.

AF 80-200mm f2.8D - Dont get the older push-pull unless you're really on a budget (its otherwise optically identical though), and get the current production version with focus ring, because they are much nicer to use. Still no image stablization, and autofocus speed isnt exactly uber either. Still, optically its awesome.

AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR - Really cant fault this one for anything. Quick autofocus, good image stabilization, decent optics, price is OK too. Its been around for a while, so used prices look even better. Obviously its quite dark, though. Not an internal zoom.

Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC - About as good as Nikons previous top zoom, the 70-200mm f2.8 VR2, but quite a bit cheaper.

AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR - Definitely overpriced. I only mention because I happen to own it. In the very rare cases I need it, its completely unproblematic, though. Sharp at any focal length or aperture, very good image stabilization, fast autofocus, internal zoom. Still if I would get a telephoto today, I wouldnt get this one again.

AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 FL VR - The new Nikon uber zoom. Super sharp, lightning fast autofocus, Made in Japan quality. Unfortunately also with an uber high (but appropiate) price.

I have the Nikon 70-300 vr. From 70-200 it is really good, from 200-300 it is acceptable. It focuses very fast and the vr works well. Down side is the speed. 4.5-5.6. Sporting events in daylight, it is fine. I set my mode to manual with the lens wide open, set my shutter to 1/1000 and my ISO to AUTO and have at it. At night under stadium lights with my D7000 it struggled and I think you definitely need a f/2.8. I haven't had a chance to shoot it at night with my D750, it should do better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back