Nikon D7000 ERR messages!

atp2008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have 2 Nikon D7000 bodies and one is only a few months old, but last week, it stopped taking photos and only displays a "ERR" error message when I press the shutter. It looks dim when I look in the viewfinder and won't capture any images. I hear the mirror flipping, but that's it. I've sent this camera back to Nikon to get fixed, but in the meantime need to shoot with one camera only. (I am a family photographer.)

Has anyone gotten this ERR message with their D7000? When I google this problem, it sounds widespread, which worries me. I am wondering if I should sell my D7000s and get something else if this is some kind of defect.

Would love your input, especially of you own a D7000!

Page 306 of your manual.

Re-Seat yout SD cards

Hello!

Seeing the OP's question has already been answered, I'd like to ask you about another error I get once in a while on my D7000... It's just this "- E -" that appears on the control panel (small screen on the top of the camera.

I'm sure it has something to do with the memory cards, because it appears in the same place where it normally says how many more shots are left... But couldn't find anything in the manual.
It doesn't matter if I turn off the camera, the "- E -" stays there until I re-place the memory cards... but I'm kind of worried about removing the cards while that message's still there...

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

EDIT: Nevermind... the answer was on page 307... Can't believe I couldn't find it before... Anyway, it means the camera cannot detect a memory card. Now, the question is what could be causing this?

Regards,
LizardKing

EDIT: Nevermind... the answer was on page 307... Can't believe I couldn't find it before... Anyway, it means the camera cannot detect a memory card. Now, the question is what could be causing this?

Regards,
LizardKing

You either have no memory cards inserted, or they are on the Write Lock position.

Regards,
LizardKing

You either have no memory cards inserted, or they are on the Write Lock position.

The card could also be bad.

I had the same thing. I was using a Kingston 16GB for raw and an 8GB for JPEG and the D7000 just did not get on well with the 8GB card (gave the error message about once every 50 shots or so. Once the card was removed and replaced, everything would be fine for a while). Eventually, I got fed up and replaced the cards with SanDisk versions and have not had any trouble. I think this kind of thing is more likely to be card-based rather than camera-based. The OP's problem sounds a little different though. If the viewfinder looks dim, I'd say that there is maybe something triggering the DOF preview.

Last edited:
I tried everything and eventually sent my D7000 to the Nikon Service Center. They said they needed to replace a part!

As for a replyer's issue with getting the -E- message, I get that from time to time too. It's usually from accidentally pushing the "lock" switch in my SD card when I inserted it into the camera, so your camera reads that as no cards available (even though one or two are inside). You may want to check that first. If it's not locked, then it probably is the card itself, like someone already mentioned.

Thanks, everyone, for commenting!

I had some sandisk 16 gb cards and kept getting the error message also. On e ingot a different message that said my card was.corrupted. Since both were within the return period I returned both and got another pair. No problems since

Today June 10, 2012 I was out with my Nikon D7000 when it stopped working. I am getting the blinking Err message. Page 306 of the manual says, "Release shutter. If error persists or appears frequently, consult Nikon-authorized service representative." I can access the menu to make changes and I can view the images that were taken but many other features are non functional. The flash unit will not raise, The ISO button as well as the metering button are non functional. Live view does not work and probably many other things I haven't even tried. I am convinced this is a REAL problem and not something as simple as cleaning the lens contacts, using a fully charged battery, reseating the SD cards, etc. In researching this I found this to be a rather common problem with this particular model. I watched a You Tube video of a D7000 acting the same way as mine. Fortunately there is a Nikon authorized repair service not far from where I live so it will be heading for the shop tomorrow morning. If you have a D7000 be aware that the problem I'm experiencing does not appear to be an isolated case by any means. I will follow up and let all know the outcome.

Jerry

UPDATE: Today June 11, 2012 took my D7000 to United Camera where a tech. took a quick look and informed me the camera has a bent shutter blade. Total cost including tax for the repair is $147.86 PROVIDED the sensor did not get scratched from the bent blade. The camera is not under warranty and I was told that even if it were Nikon would need to determine if this was a manufacturing defect or operator error caused by possibly a sensor cleaning. The sensor has never been cleaned by me nor anyone else. Right now I can only hope the sensor has not been scratched.

Jerry

You know things can and will go wrong I wouldn't think this is some widespread problem, as Ive never heard about it. Im curious tho, how much use has your camera seen?

You know things can and will go wrong I wouldn't think this is some widespread problem, as Ive never heard about it. Im curious tho, how much use has your camera seen?

Wish I could give you the shutter count but can't until I get it back but it has not had heavy usage. It doesn't get used daily and when it does I'm not trigger happy. I've researched this and to me it seems like it is happening more than it should be. If the sensor is damaged I've been given a ballpark figure of $495 so the total bill would be around $650. I do realize that things can and will go wrong and there is always going to be some defects in a certain percentage of most anything manufactured. I'm hoping my problem is not widespread and others with the D7000 will have a happy ride.

Jerry

Hope I dont jynx myself but my D7000 has 12,000 shutter clicks and many sensor cleanings.....still works perfect......(fingers crossed) 0...i do still have 2 months left on warranty.

Wish I could give you the shutter count but can't until I get it back but it has not had heavy usage. It doesn't get used daily and when it does I'm not trigger happy. I've researched this and to me it seems like it is happening more than it should be. If the sensor is damaged I've been given a ballpark figure of $495 so the total bill would be around $650. I do realize that things can and will go wrong and there is always going to be some defects in a certain percentage of most anything manufactured. I'm hoping my problem is not widespread and others with the D7000 will have a happy ride.

Jerry
Yea reading this thread ive gotten pretty worried myself but ive heard of things happening to other brand new cameras off the shelf so id say its an error in production. I myself passed 25k shutter releases quite a while ago so id hope to think mines been built pretty sturdy. And now when you speak of sensor cleaning, are you talking about the automatic cleaning the camera does or you doing it yourself?

Most reactions

Back