Nikon D7000 for Sports and Fast moving objects

The super high end L glass is awesome, but for just a couple times a year, I wouldn't let that sway my decision too much. Its awesomeness is more of a 'becomes apparent when you use it every day' sort of thing. When I first started at my current job, I liked the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, but I also didn't really get the big deal about it either. However, after using it 6 days a week for a month, I fell in love. However, if you're not using it day in day out, as part of your job, the Nikon big lenses are excellent as well. I just feel like Canon has an edge here. I wouldn't say it's worth switching brands for, because Nikon has a lot of other edges too (I think right now they particularly have a large edge in bodies).

The 60D isn't a bad camera by any means, but it is a piece of junk compared to the 7D and D7000. It's more comparable to the D5100 in my opinion, and the D5100 has better image quality (since it shares the same sensor as the D7000). I've never met anybody who tried both the 7D and the 60D and preferred the 60D. I wouldn't mind the 60D as a hobbyist camera, but if I had to use it every day for work, it would drive me insane. It's slow to shoot, slow to focus (for all the 7Ds focusing issues, it is lightning fast to focus if you have good glass on the end), the controls are annoying to use if you're in a hurry (even though they seem at first glance to be similar to the 7D, they much more cumbersome). The AF system isn't better and the image quality isn't better. The build quality is SUBSTANTIALLY worse. Again, this isn't to make the 60D sound like a terrible camera. But it's just clearly in a class below the 7D (and though it rankles some hard core canonites, it's clearly below the D7000, if not the D5100).

That's good to know then. I would never really use it everyday. The only investment I'm thinking of on a daily basis would be a either a 24-70 f2.8 or a 24-120 f4. Then rent a 70-200 f2.8 for events like i said previously. I think i will not bother switching based on your recommendation. I feel i can get the results i want with the kit i have and planning to purchase, in particular the body.

Haha you summed up an answer i wanted in the first sentence. 7D is too old based on technology (image, noise, ISO etc) to the D7000, and well the 60D is as you say! I did think about the 7D, but with what i have invested already and the use i have for the D7000, and what i have experienced using it before you have made my life and choice a whole lot easier, and a whole lot cheaper. I will just have to overcome the buffer issue when i shoot racing, but i can do that my focusing more on the image, where i want to shoot and taking 4-5 images in a burst rather than 10's and 10's, if even possible. Thanks for your help, its been truly insightful. Now to sell my D3100 and buy the D7000, its come back to the decision i initially had 2 weeks ago - but good i looked at all the Canon options in my price and usage range. :lol:

Ha, I made the same exact jump a couple months back, but I actually ended up keeping the D3100 as a backup camera, because it depressed me so much to sell it for $300, which included the kit lens, which was about the going rate for used D3100s these days (even if they're in impeccable shape). You can occasionally get $400 for one if you really find a newbie sucker, but I didn't want to do that.

It's actually come in handy a few times, as I've grown accustomed to shooting with two bodies, one with a tele attached, and one with a wide attached. And the D3100 is so light that if you put say a 35mm f/1.8 on there, you barely notice it.

Well i have a few buyers for my D3100. So im sure i will get it shifted. Though second thoughts having a second camera for one lens to take portrait say at an event with the other on a telephoto like you say would be great but i'm happy to interchange lens i suppose - take the time. At events I'm more concerned with the action rather than anything else. Will have a think.

Well i have a few buyers for my D3100. So im sure i will get it shifted. Though second thoughts having a second camera for one lens to take portrait say at an event with the other on a telephoto like you say would be great but i'm happy to interchange lens i suppose - take the time. At events I'm more concerned with the action rather than anything else. Will have a think.

If you shoot events, and get paid for it at all, you HAVE to have 2 bodies. If something goes wrong on one body, you don't get to just reschedule the event as the photographer. You lose your paycheck and you damage your reputation. Have a body go down one time without a backup and you are known forever as the undependable idiot who ruined their memories.

I guess if you're just shooting events for fun, it doesn't matter nearly as much. But in any event, once you go to two bodies, you'll never EVER want to change lenses during an event ever again. It also saves a lot of cleaning and wear and tear on your lenses and bodies to not change lenses as much. The number one culprit of dirty sensors is changing lenses out in the field.

I think on the first part for now, Im ok as i don't have aspirations to do any events or anything pro just yet. Maybe one day.

I kind of get what you mean. There have been events where i have just confined myself to the fact i can only use one lens at an event because changing is too much of an issue and time consuming and changing outdoors could cause dirt of lense and sensor which means certains short range shots go wanting!!

Most reactions

Back