Nikon D7000 How does aperture minority work? Is it broken?

robitussin217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Nikon D40 is such that when you switch it to the "A" that signifies aperture priority mode and turn the dial, the f-stop changes. On the D7000, I change it to aperture priority mode, and when I turn the dial, nothing changes. Shutter priority works. I never use "P" mode, but when I turn the dial in "P" mode, it changes the aperture...?

I got this reconditioned D7000 from Adorama. Is this normal? The lenses involved are the 35mm 1.8, 18-55 kit from my D40, and the 55-200.

robitussin217 said:
My Nikon D40 is such that when you switch it to the "A" that signifies aperture priority mode and turn the dial, the f-stop changes. On the D7000, I change it to aperture priority mode, and when I turn the dial, nothing changes. Shutter priority works. I never use "P" mode, but when I turn the dial in "P" mode, it changes the aperture...?

I got this reconditioned D7000 from Adorama. Is this normal? The lenses involved are the 35mm 1.8, 18-55 kit from my D40, and the 55-200.

Are you turning the right wheel/dial? I don't have a d7000 but I played with one a while back. Isn't there 2 wheels? One in the back of the camera and then one in the front of the camera? Like I said I don't really know the camera but that's what came to mind.

robitussin217 said:

It is the front wheel BTW that changes aperture. I googled it and found the same exact question as yours and the answer was to use the front wheel

No absolutely not! That is ridiculous what you say...sigh...just kidding. You're right, and I feel like a doofus. Time to read the manual! Thank you!

Yeah you should probably read it. It may not be the most I captivating read but it's full of useful info! :)

That's okay, I'll make up some grand but very loosely related analogies for camera settings and then draw pictures in the margins...make it a little more interesting.

The two dials are used to change multiple settings dependent on what other buttons are pushed as well. Don't read the manual, study the hell out of it!

I'm just now starting to comprehend the functionality of the D7000 as opposed to the D40, and I'm overloaded with excitement.

Congrats on that new camera, you're going to love it.

Aperture minority... lols

Front dial (secondary control dial) controls aperture (default), Rear dial (primary control dial) controls shutter (or ISO if set that way)

Front dial (secondary control dial) controls aperture (default), Rear dial (primary control dial) controls shutter (or ISO if set that way)

Haha, how about that, "minority." I didn't type that. My fingers just kinda got their own idea.

Haha, how about that, "minority." I didn't type that. My fingers just kinda got their own idea.

I would like to advocate for Aperture Minorities - ever since the establishment of such groups, we have been denied our rights/admittance onto the Mode Dial of modern DSLR's, and I have had ENOUGH OF IT!

black-power.jpg

gsgary said:
Don't worry most Nikon users are like you

Hey, I resemble that remark...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back