Nikon D7000 lens kit help!

ssff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello

I'm buying a Nikon D7000 (changed my mind from the Canon 60d after using it for a week, I think the Nikon is superior in terms of picture quality, low light and color), but am confused about the lens pick
The two kits available with the camera are:
18-105 - $1200
18-200 - $1500
I heard that the 18-200 compromises on quality, but others are more than happy with it? So I'm not sure which to choose....
Also, I was thinking of maybe getting the 50mm f1.8 with it? I heard its an excellent prime but is the quality difference so noticeable from the zoom lens?
Alternatively, is it better to get just the body and a couple of primes?
My budget is not really more than 1500, and I'd like to keep it that way
My main interests are people / street photography, nature (I love taking shots of NYC in and around) and close-ups or tight shots
Any suggestions and help are welcome, thanks!

I have the D7000 and I have used all the lenses you mention accept for the 18-200. imho the best kit zoom Nikon makes is the little cheap 18-55. The one I used was very sharp. I now have the 18-105 and it is ok as long as you stay away from the 105mm setting as mine is pretty soft there. My 18-105mm also has some back focusing issues and requires a -20 adjustment. As for a prime, I think the 35mm f/1.8 is the best choice as it is cheap, fast, and sharp. It also is a much more practical focal length as a walk around lens as I find the 50mm a little too long for group photos. Right now I'm using a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as my walk around/people lens. Even though it is a f/2.8 throughout it zooming range, it doesn't satisfy me until f/8.0 so I don't really see where it has much advantage over the Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 as they are about the same IQ at f/8. (jmho)

I would suggest that you initially stick to the inexpensive (not cheap) primes for the time being, primarily 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8. These should both be great for your people, street photography and some areas of nature. When you have mastered the ability to use your feet to appropriately frame your shots, then pull the trigger on the 14-24 f2.8 and the 70-200 (f2.8 or f4)VR. I would suggest that you do not invest in average quality lenses for the short term, just to have to replace them later when you realise the compromise in quality that you are getting. Rather go for the best as and when you can afford it. Camera bodies come and go, but lenses are where the real investment should lie. Remember that you always pay for the quality you get, but not often do you get the quality you pay for. Good luck with the D7000 - It is a great camera.

I agree, keep a general zoom around like an 18-105, etc... but do look into getting the 35mm f1.8 & 50mm f1.8 for they're awesome.
Your D7000 can run the 50mm f1.8D (it's half price of the G) since you have the AF motor. If you're on a budget. You can try that out for $100.00!!!

I feel like we've had this thread before :)

I'm just going to say what i said before... don't write off the Nikon 18-200mm because forum snobs don't consider it a 'pro' lens.

B&H Photo: 756 reviews - 4 1/2 stars out of 5
Amazon: 207 revews - 4 1/2 out of 5

Walk into any high-end photo store and ask them about the 18-200mm.. Its one of nikon's best sellers.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the 18-105 or even just a few primes. But make sure you do the full research and talk to people who OWN the 18-200mm before you take it off your list.

I feel like we've had this thread before :)

I'm just going to say what i said before... don't write off the Nikon 18-200mm because forum snobs don't consider it a 'pro' lens.

B&H Photo: 756 reviews - 4 1/2 stars out of 5
Amazon: 207 revews - 4 1/2 out of 5

Walk into any high-end photo store and ask them about the 18-200mm.. Its one of nikon's best sellers.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the 18-105 or even just a few primes. But make sure you do the full research and talk to people who OWN the 18-200mm before you take it off your list.

I am a former owner of the 18-200 VR and it served me very well. I made money with that lens!!!
So yes, it's a great lens. But do make sure you grab a prime or two for the times you shoot in lower light or want background blurring.

Most reactions

Back