Nikon D7000 malfunction?

Dani110705

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please forgive me ahead of time for my details in describing my camera's malfunction! I'm not sure what the malfunction is called. I'm wanting to know if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, how to fix it.

I use a Nikon D7000. The only way I can explain the malfunction is when I have my subject in place, I press the shutter to take the photo but what I'm seeing through my viewfinder (what I want my picture to be) isn't the actual photo that is taken. It's as if the mirror or some internal part moves to skew the photo. As I'm looking through the viewfinder, it moves to the right. When the picture shows up on the LCD, it shows like I moved to the left when I took it. It only does this when I take photos in portrait orientation and it doesn't always do it. If I do point my camera to the right of the subject then the photo that is taken will be of the actual subject because it skews itself over.

PLEASE HELP!

Are you shooting with the VR on the lens turned on? If so, that's normal.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like this is the VR. It can be especially noticeable on the cheaper kit lenses with VR if they've been banged around a bit.

Try half depressing the shutter button, which should engage the VR, which would cause you to see the effect happen and then correct for it first.

One of the canon 28-135 EF lenses at our studio is so bad about this that when OS is engaged you can see the image move in a figure 8 pattern.

I'm using my 50mm 1.8 D lens. It doesn't have the option for vr... I always press the shutter halfway before actually taking the picture too.

Does it do this when you're using a tripod?

Yes. But it doesn't do it when I take pictures in a landscape orientation, only when I turn the camera upright to take pictures in a portrait orientation.

Is this an issue with the Image Review function's AUTO ROTATE ON/OFF setting, perhaps??? Your description is not helping me figure out what,exactly, is going on...

Most reactions

Back