Nikon D7100 or Canon 70 D for birding/wildlife?

I actually just got the D7100 this morning but it is very encouraging.

Please keep me posted as to your thoughts on the D7100. Do you (or will you) have any comparison birding shots by the 70 D and the D7100? I've seen Michael the Mentor's video and a couple other comparison shots, but they're usually of stationery objects -- buildings, portraits, etc. I'd like to see some "out in the field" birding shots.

Thanks for the input, everybody. I think the best thing for me to do is rent both of them, take them out on a field trip, and see how they feel and shoot.

I actually just got the D7100 this morning but it is very encouraging.

Please keep me posted as to your thoughts on the D7100. Do you (or will you) have any comparison birding shots by the 70 D and the D7100? I've seen Michael the Mentor's video and a couple other comparison shots, but they're usually of stationery objects -- buildings, portraits, etc. I'd like to see some "out in the field" birding shots.
I do not have side by side comparisons, but my buddy who is a pro leaves his 70d home and takes the 7d every time... It's a long comparison and I have a cameo around the 30 minute mark :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good video. Now need one comparing Nikon D7100 to Canon for wildlife!:wink:

Or ... would a different Nikon (crop sensor) be better than D7100 for wildlife?

Hi all, I am new here. I have a Canon 70D and here are some photos I have taken with it:
Dance of the Great Egret - chewyenfook

i have heard a lot good things about Nikon's excellent AF tracking system. It has been a long time since I have used a Nikon DSLR so I am out of touch. What I remember of the old Nikon D100, the locking and tracking of subjects was great. If Canon is not going to replace their old 100-400 by early next year, I am tempted to get the D7100 and the 80-400 II for wildlife.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back