Nikon D7100 or D600

karmasangay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am struck at what to buy. Please help me with your true comments...
I am planning to buy either a D7100 or a D600 and I will be shooting mostly videos.
Although the D7100 is cheaper and in my budget but the D600 is a full frame so I am seriously struck at the
moment. Your advice would really help me a lot.

Thanks
I never use my DSLR for video but as an owner of a D7100 I still want to add that if money was not an issue I would get the D600 any day of the week over the D7100.

The D7100 is a very, very sharp camera, excellent camera for its price but I do have one big complaint and that's its low light performance.
400 ISO already starting to see noise, from my own experience this camera is not as good in low light as is told in all the reviews, other then that its a phenomenal camera.

The D600 is very sharp and excellent in low light but comparing the 2 as a video platform is not something I can talk about, I am sure others will be able to help you with that.

If you are going to shoot mostly video, you should consider getting a video camera instead of a DSLR.

DSLRs have come a long ways and offer greater Dept of field than traditional cam corder. So much that they have become popular with Indie film producers. I actually witnessed a R&B music video shot using a DSLR.

Might want to check the new canon 70d. It seemed to be designed more with video in mind. It incorporates a new AF system... I shoot Nikon and also know little about video..

One thing about video, aren't the D7100 and D600 limited to 20 of continuous video?
If price was no great object, then I recommend the D600 too. I've tried one, and plan on getting one sooner or later when the $$$ knock on my door.

DSLR cameras require a pretty serious investment in accessories to be effective video cameras.
Tripods, fluid tripod heads, shoulder rigs, follow focus mechanisms, monitors, remote microphones, cine lens hoods, and more.
See TPF's DSLR Video Discussion forum.

edelkrone - DSLR rigs - Follow Focus - DSLR Sliders - Camera Supports - Filmmaking Equipments
Redrock Micro DSLR Rigs and Accessories
Zacuto Filmmaking Accessories

Get the biggest (not the most) pixels you can afford, like the D600. Be aware, the D600 only has a 1/4000 shutter, while the D7100 has a 1/800 shutter.
But the D7200 has better video capabilities than the D7100 has.
Lastly, many entry-level DSLR CMOS image sensors use a rolling shutter, rather then the more desirable global shutter most dedicated video cameras have,

There is another identical thread...

I use both Nikon and Canon. I use Nikon for stills 99% of the time (but can understand why some would prefer Canon or other cameras).

For DSLR video I would prefer a Canon camera. Even a cheaper one than the Nikon D600. The new 70D might be a good option with its new LV/video AF.

I have a D7000 and love it but, if I were shooting mainly video, I would buy a dedicated video camera.

Most reactions

Back