Nikon D7100 or Nikon D7000

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am upgrading cameras from my D3100 to a more advanced camera and I was looking at the D7000 series I was wondering if it is worth the extra money for the D7100 or should I just get a older D7000?

I know the subject is about the D7000/7100
But if anyone has any other suggestions for a camera at a medium level they would be welcome and appreciated

Thanks
Jack M'crystal Photography

If budget allows, get the D7100. Yours is a very subjective question. Only you can decide if the extra of the D7100 is worth it or not. Do Your Own Due Diligence and make decision.

If budget allows, get the D7100. Yours is a very subjective question. Only you can decide if the extra of the D7100 is worth it or not. Do Your Own Due Diligence and make decision.

What extra do you get with a d7100 compared to a d7000 that's better (other than the megapixels and newer camera).

Jack - this brand new DPReview comparison of the two cameras may help with your decision. Personally, the D7000 is a great camera, but I would spend the extra $300 for the D7100 (if it fits your budget) for the higher res sensor, lack of anti aliasing filter, increased number of focus points, wi-fi option and higher res LCD.

As a hybrid still/video shooter, I also prefer the D7100's significantly improved video over the D7000. No more ugly moire! See the rooflines here. The D7000 would have covered them with shot-ruining colored stripes (see example in next post - TPF only allows one video per post).

[video=vimeo;62104512]http://vimeo.com/62104512[/video]

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is the example of the D7000's moire challenge referred to in the previous post. Note the shimmering colored stripes on the shingled roof at 0:21 in this video (please watch at 720p):

If you plan to shoot any video at all with Nikon DSLRs, I strongly recommend the new D5200 or the D7100. These are Nikon's best hybrid still/video cameras to date, even better than the moire-prone D600 and D800.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack - this brand new DPReview comparison of the two cameras may help with your decision. Personally, the D7000 is a great camera, but I would spend the extra $300 for the D7100 (if it fits your budget) for the higher res sensor, lack of anti aliasing filter, increased number of focus points, wi-fi option and higher res LCD.

As a hybrid still/video shooter, I also prefer the D7100's significantly improved video over the D7000. No more ugly moire! See the rooflines here. The D7000 would have covered them with shot-ruining colored stripes (see example in next post - TPF only allows one video per post).

Video Link: http://vimeo.com/62104512

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Thanks bull but I am not taking video with my camera
With the wifi you said in the quote above is that an option or is it standard with the d7100?

D7100 has..
51point Autofocus system
Autofocus Logic from the D4
Better Weather Sealing
3.2" 1229k-dot RGBW LCD
OLED Viewfinder Display
Larger Grip

And... a 24mp sensor.

The D7100 is just like the D7000 the same way the D7000 is just like the D600.... They look the same.. but all 3 are different cameras.

Jack, you are getting some good advice here. That said, the 7100 is more of minorly revised mousetrap rather than a better mousetrap. It is not a revolutionary camera. It is a slot filler. Nikon finds itself in a market cycle product war with it's major competitors. This requires NIkon, as it does Canon and the others to bring out new models to remain relevant. The camera market has become just like the car market. Slight changes for several years and then a total redo every four or five years. The 7100 is not the total redo. Just as the 2012 Accord is not better than the 2011, the 2013 Accord is a major step forward. The 7100 while offering some things the 7000 doesn't, not a major step forward.

All that to say if the modest changes to the new 7000, officially dubbed the 7100 are important to you it will be worth every cent of the extra money spent. Otherwise, the 7000 is one great camera. And, spending less, hey who can argue with that?

If you can honestly say your photography will be noticeably better by utilizing the features that only the D7100 can offer, your choice is easy. Otherwise it would seem wiser to buy the still excellent D7000 and use the savings toward a great lens.

If you are upgrading from a D7000, there is really little or no point, you should at least wait for the next generation or go FF. Since you are upgrading from a D3100, D7100 is the way imo and if budget allows.

Bear in mind this comes from a newbie with a D3100. This is what I'd upgrade to if I have the budget and the need to.

The "Advanced, Multi-CAM 3500DX, 51 focus point, auto focus module" the D7100 has is alone worth the extra cost.

If you are upgrading from a D7000, there is really little or no point, you should at least wait for the next generation or go FF.

I upgraded from the D7000 to the D7100... mostly for...

The "Advanced, Multi-CAM 3500DX, 51 focus point, auto focus module" the D7100 has is alone worth the extra cost.

.. and you couldn't pay me to use a D7000 now :)

If its the same as the 3500FX- it's awesome lol.

Thanks all for helping me make a choice I really appreciate it! Defiantly getting the 7100 I will let you all know how it goes

Provided you need it. Otherwise, the IQ difference and feature upgrades aren't exactly jaw-dropping for almost a 50% price hike. What we're they thinking?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back