Nikon D7100 or Nikon D7000

The "Advanced, Multi-CAM 3500DX, 51 focus point, auto focus module" the D7100 has is alone worth the extra cost.

If its the same as the 3500FX- it's awesome lol.

I've heard that this AF module Multi-CAM 3500DX is pretty amazing, even works in very low light, I look forward to getting this camera in the next few months.

Nikon improved (Advanced) the Multi-CAM 3500DX/FX module that appeared in the D3/D700/D300 and is now in the D4/D800/D7100.

Provided you need it. Otherwise, the IQ difference and feature upgrades aren't exactly jaw-dropping for almost a 50% price hike. What we're they thinking?

Then you should get a D3000... you can pick one up from B&H or Adorama for ~$200.

If you are upgrading from a D7000, there is really little or no point, you should at least wait for the next generation or go FF.

I upgraded from the D7000 to the D7100... mostly for...

The "Advanced, Multi-CAM 3500DX, 51 focus point, auto focus module" the D7100 has is alone worth the extra cost.

.. and you couldn't pay me to use a D7000 now :)

It all depends on your wallet and your needs. I know someone who upgrade his cpu once a year. Like I said before, OP's question is very subjective.

The new model wasn't here 6 months ago. Way back then the old model was all the rave!!!! Thread after thread of which one should I buy questions all with the same answer, buy this one! Now that "One" is such a POS that posters couldn't be paid to pick it up.

Really? C'mon!

7100 looks to be a great camera. And it better be because it's got big shoes to fill!

Subjective indeed!

All of my comments are do to the "You'd be stupid to upgrade" comments...

If you are upgrading from a D7000, there is really little or no point
That's an opinion not a fact.. There are plenty of reasons to upgrade from the D7000 to the D7100 (and lots of people have).

you should at least wait for the next generation or go FF.
Yet another opinion... Not everybody needs or wants to go FF.

Now that "One" is such a POS that posters couldn't be paid to pick it up.
I owned a D7000 for over 2 years... I've also owned the D7100 since the day it came out. For me, the Auto Focus on the D7000 was always lacking. I use the D7100 to shoot sporting events at least twice a week and it impresses me more each day. So, it is my opinion that i will not purchase a D7000... even if you paid me :)

You can buy a D5200 and get a sensor with a slightly better DxOMark score. You can buy a D7000 for 1/2 the price. You can buy a D5100 for even less. A Camera is a tool... And until Nikon releases the mythical D400 the D7100 is the current top-of-the-line DX body.

I have the D7000 and I wouldn't bother upgrading it to a D7100 however, if I was coming from a D3100 I'd definitely go for the D7100. Latest generation sensor and software, etc.

Lost, point is you did own it for two years. And you put up with it's "lacking auto focus "for that time when you could have resolved that issue by either buying up or down within Nikon's line up. Either direction would have gotten you what you now have. That you didn't, maybe the 7000 not quite so useless.

That said, while there is nothing wrong with getting the new new thing, there was nothing wrong with the old thing. My point about NIkon bringing out this camera to remain relevant in the market is the point. They didn't bring it out because the 7000 was flawed. Quite the contrary, the 7000 will be a tough act to follow.

Is there an upgrade or two from the old to the new, sure! Does it make it a better choice? For some yes, for some no!

That one of those upgrades hit the nail on the head for you doesn's mean the old camera is useless.

But since you aren't using it, and think so little of it, I'll give you $25 for it. I'll even pay for shipping. Shoot me a PM.
;)

I see the D7100 as a worthy competitor against anything Canon or Sony has in their mid-level models. The D7100 now has the HIGH-end AF module that the D4 uses! The D7100 has moved up to the 24MP size sensor that the majority of the Nikon DX line now has. I see the D7000 however as a great VALUE for dollars spent, but it is a bit less-capable.

The D7100 has one interesting feature according to the SLR Lounge review: 100 percent, 1-touch zoom-in on review on the LCD....that's really handy. It's a great way to check focus accuracy/camera shake FAST, with one,single click. SHooting at 24 MP is more-demanding than some people might imagine; camera shake, and mirror slap, tripod vibration, subject motion, slight blurring due to shutter speed--ALL of those things, and I mean ALL of them, are factors when shooting at 24MP resolution. 24 MP is high-rez imaging...it's 50% more pixels than the D7000 has...it is DOUBLE the 12 megapixels many Nikon users are used to.

I was not interested in the D7000, but the D7100 I admit, is intriguing...a small, light, high-density 24MP sensor with wide dynamic range and excellent high-ISO capabilities...man...I kinda want a D7100...

Provided you need it. Otherwise, the IQ difference and feature upgrades aren't exactly jaw-dropping for almost a 50% price hike. What we're they thinking?

Then you should get a D3000... you can pick one up from B&H or Adorama for ~$200.

Like I'm asking for advice? If you dig the D7100's AF, cool. But don't oversell its feature upgrades relative to its IQ that's no better than some of Nikon's downmarket DX bodies. It's your $. Wait, it's Nikon's $ now.

I never once said the D7000 was a bad camera.. I am REPLYING TO THE COMMENTS that say the D7100 isn't a worthy upgrade to the D7000.

Have any of the following people used a D7100?
the 7100 is more of minorly revised mousetrap rather than a better mousetrap. It is not a revolutionary camera. It is a slot filler.
If you are upgrading from a D7000, there is really little or no point, you should at least wait for the next generation or go FF.
... Otherwise, the IQ difference and feature upgrades aren't exactly jaw-dropping for almost a 50% price hike. What we're they thinking?
... Or are they just repeating internet drabble?

Like I'm asking for advice? If you dig the D7100's AF, cool. But don't oversell its feature upgrades relative to its IQ that's no better than some of Nikon's downmarket DX bodies.
You just stated the IQ difference between the D7100 and the D7000 isn't worth the upgrade. (i will point out however that the D7100 costs the exact amount the D7000 did when it was released). I was just using your logic to point out the IQ between the D3000 and D3100 isn't that huge.. The difference between the D3100 and D5100 is marginal... The D7000 uses the same sensor as the D5100.. ergo.. Why not just get a D3000?

At what point did nikon make a huge IQ and Feature upgrade between the D70, D80, D90, D7000 or D7100? How different in IQ where they from the D50, D3000, D3100 or D5100?

You might not be asking for my advice... but you are giving your advice to not buy a camera that nikon didn't get your approval to release... yet you have never used it.

It is fact however that the D7100 is not just a re-hashed D7000.. It uses a different sensor, it has a completely different body and it uses different logic boards. The only thing the D7000 and D7100 share is a battery and a common look.

For the record (and you can scan my post history on this forum) i absolutely loved my D7000. It had the features i needed that allowed me to get the images i wanted. I have shot with Canon's 7D, Nikon D300s, Nikon D3s and a short stint with the D4.. For the $$ i had to spend, the D7000 was amazing. It is also my opinion that the D7100 fixes some of the issues i had with the D7000.

It's your $. Wait, it's Nikon's $ now.
You seem to have some serious issues with nikon.. I'd hate to see how you respond to people that like the D800.

D7100 - $1199
D7000-$999

Though you can get the D7000 Factory Refurbished for around $775 right now.

D7100 - $1199
D7000-$999

Though you can get the D7000 Factory Refurbished for around $775 right now.

You can get a new D7000 in Toronto this aft. for C$ 799. D7100? C$ 1199-ish.

I never once said the D7000 was a bad camera.. I am REPLYING TO THE COMMENTS that say the D7100 isn't a worthy upgrade to the D7000.

Have any of the following people used a D7100?
the 7100 is more of minorly revised mousetrap rather than a better mousetrap. It is not a revolutionary camera. It is a slot filler.

... Or are they just repeating internet drabble?

Like I'm asking for advice? If you dig the D7100's AF, cool. But don't oversell its feature upgrades relative to its IQ that's no better than some of Nikon's downmarket DX bodies.
You just stated the IQ difference between the D7100 and the D7000 isn't worth the upgrade. (i will point out however that the D7100 costs the exact amount the D7000 did when it was released). I was just using your logic to point out the IQ between the D3000 and D3100 isn't that huge.. The difference between the D3100 and D5100 is marginal... The D7000 uses the same sensor as the D5100.. ergo.. Why not just get a D3000?

At what point did nikon make a huge IQ and Feature upgrade between the D70, D80, D90, D7000 or D7100? How different in IQ where they from the D50, D3000, D3100 or D5100?

You might not be asking for my advice... but you are giving your advice to not buy a camera that nikon didn't get your approval to release... yet you have never used it.

It is fact however that the D7100 is not just a re-hashed D7000.. It uses a different sensor, it has a completely different body and it uses different logic boards. The only thing the D7000 and D7100 share is a battery and a common look.

For the record (and you can scan my post history on this forum) i absolutely loved my D7000. It had the features i needed that allowed me to get the images i wanted. I have shot with Canon's 7D, Nikon D300s, Nikon D3s and a short stint with the D4.. For the $$ i had to spend, the D7000 was amazing. It is also my opinion that the D7100 fixes some of the issues i had with the D7000.

It's your $. Wait, it's Nikon's $ now.
You seem to have some serious issues with nikon.. I'd hate to see how you respond to people that like the D800.

I think you're really just talking to yourself here to justify your purchase. That's what I call internet drivel.

I think you're really just talking to yourself here to justify your purchase. That's what I call internet drivel.

Your right... Nikon should have just stopped making cameras after the D7000.... You win the internet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back