Nikon D7100 Vs. Canon 70D

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First of all all, my budget is ~$2500. I need a body, standard zoom lens, telephoto lens and a macro lens. I dont know which camera to choose! I take Landscapes, Wildlife and mostly macro. Which camera would suit me? I alreadt have a dying Nikon D40x and its kit lens. Im not planning to use the lenses as its AF is slow and causes color fringing.

First of all, Which body?
Sencond, What lenses to go with the body? (Macro, Standard Zoom, Telephoto)

Also, for me noise performance is a big factor. With my D40x i cannot go over ISO400 if i want good, clear images. The 70D has a higher native ISO range so i think thats better.
I also take pictures of macro and wildlife so a fast shutter speed and large buffer is required. The 70D can shoot at 7fps and has a large buffer when shooting RAW (16 shots).
The Nikon D7100 has a higher MP count so that too is an advantage.
The Nikon D7100 is also made of Magnesium Alloy so it will help in weatherproofing which is a requirement.

Im sure that there are many more differences but these are some that will matter to me.

To check out my shots and know what kinds of picture i take, please check out my facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pramitvrphotography

If you like my pictures, please like the page :)

Currently its impossible to compare the D7100 with the 70D because while we do have the technical data of the Canon we still don't have real reviews of the camera with pictures comparing the cameras IQ, pics in high ISO...etc
My gut feeling tells me both cameras are amazing (I know the D7100 is).
So best wait for the 70D to come out and see comparison reviews of the 2 cameras or if you are ready to pull the trigger now just get the D7100. Its an awesome camera so you cant go wrong there.

Currently its impossible to compare the D7100 with the 70D because while we do have the technical data of the Canon we still don't have real reviews of the camera with pictures comparing the cameras IQ, pics in high ISO...etc
My gut feeling tells me both cameras are amazing (I know the D7100 is).
So best wait for the 70D to come out and see comparison reviews of the 2 cameras or if you are ready to pull the trigger now just get the D7100. Its an awesome camera so you cant go wrong there.
Spec wise, which is better?

Lets say i go for the D7100. What lenses would go well with it? My total bud get is $2000. Maybe $2200

I have a lot of respect for Canon and my second body camera is a Canon but I admit I do have a soft spot for Nikon.
After saying that I would personally go for the D7100, it simply is an outstanding camera.

Which lens ?

Well all my lenses are used so I if I were you I would get the lenses I chose and are in my signature.
First the Nikon 24-85mm VR (325 used), fantastic everyday lens
For long range the Nikon 70-300mm VR (280$ used) very sharp lens perfect when taking birds pictures
50mm 1.8G for portraits or night photography, very sharp and very fast lens (200$ new).

If you want to buy only new then maybe start with the 18-105mm VR kit lens, its a nice lens that will cover most your needs and get the 50mm 1.8G.
In the future add the 70-300mm VR new

Technical data tells you only half the story and you cant compare cameras only from a pure technical data especially when they are already so close in their technical sheet.
The 70D has a trick in its sensor which is good for people using their DSLR for taking clips.
I personally used my D7000 only once as a clip taking camera and I did that just to see this function works.
So for me if a camera works great as a movie camera is useless.
For you it might be important, all these technical stuff is for you to decide and no one else.

I have a lot of respect for Canon and my second body camera is a Canon but I admit I do have a soft spot for Nikon.
After saying that I would personally go for the D7100, it simply is an outstanding camera.

Which lens ?

Well all my lenses are used so I if I were you I would get the lenses I chose and are in my signature.
First the Nikon 24-85mm VR (325 used), fantastic everyday lens
For long range the Nikon 70-300mm VR (280$ used) very sharp lens perfect when taking birds pictures
50mm 1.8G for portraits or night photography, very sharp and very fast lens (200$ new).

If you want to buy only new then maybe start with the 18-105mm VR kit lens, its a nice lens that will cover most your needs and get the 50mm 1.8G.
In the future add the 70-300mm VR new
I need a Macro Lens aswell! Its the most important for me...
If you see my pictures you will notice that many are macros...

Technical data tells you only half the story and you cant compare cameras only from a pure technical data especially when they are already so close in their technical sheet.
The 70D has a trick in its sensor which is good for people using their DSLR for taking clips.
I personally used my D7000 only once as a clip taking camera and I did that just to see this function works.
So for me if a camera works great as a movie camera is useless.
For you it might be important, all these technical stuff is for you to decide and no one else.
Im not interested in video so the advantages of the Canons video dont affect me... The only reason im considering the 70D is because of its fast burst rate and its low light capability...

Check out DP Review (Digital Photography Review), they offer a means to do a side by side comparison of camera specs. While specs are certainly a key part of making your decision, along with budget, you should also consider form and function. How does the Nikon feel in your hand compared to the Canon? Are the menus logical? Are the buttons and dials in locations that work for you?

These are factors I consider with every camera purchase. Since you're on a budget you might also look at sites to purchase gear used. There are some great companies out there like KEH (Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com) which offer a variety of used lenses, cameras and more.

Good luck!

I can't really think of any way in which the body type would particularly benefit or handicap macro photography. Perhaps the ability to use higher ISOs without noise? I can't find any good comparisons yet to answer that. Also, a crop sensor would probably be a bit better than a full frame, for more DOF in practice and more working distance, but they are both crop frames, so that's not very important here, either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back