Nikon d7100 vs Nikon d600

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have lost any hope or patience for a Nikon d400 release in the summer. I need an upgrade for school and I am wondering if I should go for the d7100 or the d600. Sadly for the d600 I can only afford dx at the moment but I read that the dx mode on the d600 is really good! If I can afford the lenses I will buy them without a doubt! I shoot almost everything, but my favourite to shoot are concerts, skateboarding, landscape and night time! I need a reason why to pick which camera not just a "d7100 because it is newer" or "d600 because its fx" I want a description.

Thank you!

Checkout my site: DominikMPhoto on deviantART

The AF in the d7100 is awesome.

So I have read but the AF isn't what is going to sell me. I'm coming from a camera with no AF in it at all so either way it'll be a big step up for me

So I have read but the AF isn't what is going to sell me. I'm coming from a camera with no AF in it at all so either way it'll be a big step up for me

Then why do you want a D400?

Just get the D600... it sounds like your mind is already made up. A refurb D600 is only $400 more then a D7100.

Then why do you want a D400?

Just get the D600... it sounds like your mind is already made up. A refurb D600 is only $400 more then a D7100.

I love the perks of the d300s and I was hoping that it would continue. The high fps for a dx, the build of the camera was amazing in my opinion. I'm trying to see if it is actually worth getting the d600

I love the perks of the d300s and I was hoping that it would continue. The high fps for a dx, the build of the camera was amazing in my opinion. I'm trying to see if it is actually worth getting the d600

Have you considered a the d700 then? Only downside is that you can't crop like the 24 mp resolution images.

A high FPS does you no good if your auto focus cant keep up...

The D7100 can do 100 images @ 7fps in 1.3x crop (15mp) in JPG mode before the buffer gets full (using Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 cards).... That's ~15 seconds continuous shooting.

The D7100 and D600 are built 'almost' the same... The D7100 has better weather sealing.. but they are very similar in the materials used on the body. I doubt Nikon will ever build a body like the D300 again. (DX or FX).

I would go for the D600, in low light high ISO the D600 just blows the D7100 or any other crop sensor camera out of the water, saying that the D7100 is an awesome camera but still I would go with the D600 in a heart beat!

I'd go for the D600 over the D7100 because I love the shallow DOF, wide angle FOV, and great high ISO noise.

I think the D400 could be introduced in April, 2013. And if not this month, then SOON. I do think NIkon will introduce a D400, possibly this summer. It will need to have very good specifications in order to out-spec the D7100: faster frame rate, better buffer, more-rugged build, bigger,brighter viewfinder, better video set, and in all, just be the entry-level "pro" camera for NPS membership qualification.

Now,like TheLost says, a refurb D600 is only $400 more than a D7100. If you are buying some kind of stop--gap camera, some kind of a lesser-of-two-eveils kind of camera, one oy really are not 100% committed to, then by all means buy a refurb,so you lose less when you unload it in four or six months.

I dunno...the D7100 seems likie a nice APS-C camera, but no, it is NOT like a D300s in many ways. But still--wow..what an amazing camera for $1199...

I might be forced to eat my hat (if I had one) if Nikon will introduce a new D400 in few days but my feeling is that the D7100 is so packed with goodies so to offer enough for the sport photography fans and the regular photographer.
Yes the D7100 cant offer what the D300s can in some ways but its just my personal feelings that Nikon will not make a D400, days will tell.

Still I would go with the D600 in a heart beat.

Well, I just ordered a D600.. soo there's that. lol It made no sense to me not to go full frame if I was going to spend a bunch of money. Didn't want to be kicking myself in a few months for not, so I did.

Well, I just ordered a D600.. soo there's that. lol It made no sense to me not to go full frame if I was going to spend a bunch of money. Didn't want to be kicking myself in a few months for not, so I did.

I think you did the right thing and I think now I am suffering from serious FF envy LOL

Enjoy your new camera :)

Listen to me carfuly.... if ...if you can purchase D800 E version ...you win ..belive me .
If not than D800 ....if not D600 .if not ...then dont purchase any of D7000 or D7100 D5200 or others .
Remember D800 E +af-s 24-70mm f/2.8 thats the perfect couple

Listen to me carfuly.... if ...if you can purchase D800 E version ...you win ..belive me .
If not than D800 ....if not D600 .if not ...then dont purchase any of D7000 or D7100 D5200 or others .
Remember D800 E +af-s 24-70mm f/2.8 thats the perfect couple

Thats only a difference of $1000 from what the OP wanted...but who's counting. $1700 more than the 7100. Doesn't seem practical, or helpful.

Most reactions

Back