Nikon D750...best affordable lens for weddings?!

jlp123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am purchasing a D750 and am super excited, but I'm not sure what lenses to purchase. Im interested in getting into wedding photography so I would like a good lens to practice with that doesn't cost a fortune! I'm thinking the 85mm for portraits? Any advice?!

Well, I dont do it, but from what I've read from people who do:

Wedding photography is the hardest field of photography. You need top gear and top skills. Its super stressful and needs lost of planning. You're very well to meet the probably most feared type of client they call "bridezilla" - clients that just wont be happy with your work, no matter what. And you wont even get paid very well either.

Most typical gear for a wedding shooter is approx:
2x DSLR [D750 would be fine for this]
24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8
35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 [lowlight]
3x flash (or more), flash cable, flash remote release (Pocket Wizard)
possibly a second shooter, who will also have 2x DSLR

If you want some kind of minimal setup, I'd say D750, AF-S 28mm f1.8, AF-S 85mm f1.8, SB800 (from the used market), flash cable.

If you do not know what lens to get, I will suggest getting a standard zoom lens first. So a zoom lens that cover focal length roughly from 24mm (wide angle side) to 135mm (telephoto side), plus or minus.

Get a standard zoom lens first and learn, once you know more about photography and photography gears, you should know what to get next.

^ I will go a step further and say, if you don't know what lens to get then you should not be shooting a wedding.

A standard zoom will be dark though. And wedding photographers often have to handle pretty dark places. Thats why I would prefer two primes for the start.

I am starting to get more and more into event photography.
There are different school of thoughts and I think its mostly personal on what gear you want to use.

I use 2 cameras 70-200mm 2.8 on my D750 and 24-70mm 2.8 on my D3300
I also keep for extreme low light situation my 50mm 1.8G handy.
2 flashes (plus one backup)

I know some other photographers use prime lenses only and if I had to go with primes lenses to shoot wedding I would have a 35mm or 28mm on one camera and 85mm on the other.

For starters you can even get the cheap and good 50mm 1.8G, it is in between and on FF can act as wider shots (you will need to back up in some cases) and half body portrait in others.

Dont think event photography is an easy way to make money, some think they will buy the equipment and put themselves out there and learn as they go.
I am involved with photography for 7-8 years and am very serious for the last 4 years.
I am volunteering as a second shooter for over 6 months now and only now I am getting close to be able and feel comfortable to shoot birthdays on my own. On weddings I am not even currently dreaming to be the main shooter.
This is not a joke and takes lots of time and lots of practice.
If you are serious then in time you can get into the market as an event shooter.

Good luck

I think a lot of people in this forum are over reacted. OP just simply said "Im interested in getting into wedding photography" I could be wrong, but I think it means he or she is interested in becoming a Wedding Photographer in the future. There is no different than my daughter (still in elementary school) once to me she want to be a coder, teacher, musician or artist (yes, she did told me that, it all depends on she like to do at that time).

They never said "I have wedding photography job next week, can anyone tell me what camera and lens to get?"

Budget for this lens?
affordable varies for people.

maybe the 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D. Gives you a good range and a fast lens at a very affordable amount. Don't expect it to have the high image quality of a 24-70/2.8 across the edges, etc. But for price vs performance it's up there.

I use that 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D and also a 80-200/2.8 AF-D. Both much cheaper than their modern counterparts 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8.

most wedding photographers will have some fast zooms.
Primes are great when you have the ability to move around to get shots, but such is not always the case.
the Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 are relatively inexpensive and are good lenses. I had the tamron version and it was wonderful. Or, you can go with a nikon 80-200 f/2.8.
you can also pick up an older tamron 28-75 f/2.8, which I owned as well.
I think an 85mm will be your best choice for a prime. I used my 85mm for weddings more than any other lens in my bag. (the wife favored the 70-200 f/2.8)

85mm is also a fantastic portrait length on full frame.

I think a lot of people in this forum are over reacted. OP just simply said "Im interested in getting into wedding photography" I could be wrong, but I think it means he or she is interested in becoming a Wedding Photographer in the future. There is no different than my daughter (still in elementary school) once to me she want to be a coder, teacher, musician or artist (yes, she did told me that, it all depends on she like to do at that time).

They never said "I have wedding photography job next week, can anyone tell me what camera and lens to get?"
Actually I do see a difference. Is your daughter old enough to buy a computer and programs, old enough to get a job in a school, old enough to buy her own musical instrument, pay for lessons, or buy the art supplies and pay to study art? We're talking about a person here that is old enough to do these things and needs to at least understand what they're getting into. The original posters future and your daughters future are on quite different time frames as well as are their cognitive development levels. I think that comes into play in a question like this as well.

As others have already expressed you're going to need a combination of top-quality prime lenses and zoom lenses both expensive. You might want to also consider whether you want to start paying for those now and defray the cost over time or do you want to have to pay for all of that when you decide you are ready.

Last edited:

Actually I do see a difference. Is your daughter old enough to buy a computer and programs, old enough to get a job in a school, old enough to buy her own musical instrument, pay for lessons, or buy the art supplies and pay to study art? We're talking about a person here that is old enough to do these things and needs to at least understand what they're getting into. The original posters future and your daughters future are on quite different time frames as well as are their cognitive development levels. I think that comes into play in a question like this as well.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not try to start a debate. Just want to point out my reason. The similarity here is they do not know what they are going to face nor they have any experience or knowledge, hence asking the lens question, for instant. If OP know photography like you do or even just have 20% of your knowledge and experience, I am sure he or she won't be asking that question. And that is the reason I suggest standard zoom lens. That standard zoom lens is going to get OP somewhere so that he/she can develop his/her style and choose the lenses he/she need.

I want to add to "gryphonslair99" post that my post was not directed specifically at OP but more of a general statement, too many people think they will buy a camera (cheap or expensive) and think gear is what will make them pro wedding photographers while its completely the other way around.
I can shoot an event all with my D3300 and 50mm lens get great results while I am sure most people who never held a DSLR in their hand and take my D750 with either the 24-70mm or 70-200mm and will get terrible results.
Its not that I am so gifted but simply I shot events more and more and more with the guidance of my main photographer always judging and critiquing my work (constructively of course) and in time I got to where I am now (and I still have a long way to go).
My post was of general informative nature and not directed specifically at OP.

There's also many newbie wedding photographers who start doing weddings on far less equipment .. a D3200 with kit lenses. So it's possible. Will the results be as good with much better equipment and experience / knowledge ?
That's up to the client to decide, which may be too late at that point.

For the OP, you are on a forum where there are Professional Wedding photographers who photograph as their profession. Not a side job to get extra income. They've spent tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on various equipment over the years and knowledge/experience. So when someone comes in and asks, "I want to get into weddings" .. that's like asking anyone who is a "professional" in any job that you just bought something that is used in that profession and now you want to be a professional.

ie, I just bought a plunger so I want to be a professional plumber.

Last edited:

Please don't get me wrong, I am not try to start a debate. Just want to point out my reason. The similarity here is they do not know what they are going to face nor they have any experience or knowledge, hence asking the lens question, for instant. If OP know photography like you do or even just have 20% of your knowledge and experience, I am sure he or she won't be asking that question. And that is the reason I suggest standard zoom lens. That standard zoom lens is going to get OP somewhere so that he/she can develop his/her style and choose the lenses he/she need.

Not looking to start one either. Just trying to point out a bit of the reality for the OP. I'm not trying to tell the OP that they can't accomplish their goal. Be they 6 or 60 anyone can accomplish what ever they want and should be encouraged to pursue their dreams. But those like the OP need to understand the reality of the situation and be prepared. With all the advances in built in tools photography has taken on a whole new "glamour" from what it was 45 years ago. Those tools have also made it seem quite simple to a large number of folks.

It's not to say that one can't be successful with cheaper consumer gear. It all depends on the market you are looking for. I have mentioned in the past a local senior portrait photographer that uses a entry level camera and an entry level "all around lens." That is her sole kit. Her sessions are cheap, her photos are above average snap shot quality and she stays busy. Her clientele is the sort that if it was not for her, they couldn't afford anything more than the selfies they took with their phones. Is there anything wrong with that? Not to my way of thinking, but it is important too understand the various aspects involved, especially in these "everyone can afford a camera" days.

If you do not know what lens to get, I will suggest getting a standard zoom lens first. So a zoom lens that cover focal length roughly from 24mm (wide angle side) to 135mm (telephoto side), plus or minus.

Get a standard zoom lens first and learn, once you know more about photography and photography gears, you should know what to get next.

What do you think, a 24-120mm or
^ I will go a step further and say, if you don't know what lens to get then you should not be shooting a wedding.
mayne you didn't read my post. I said I'm interested in it. I've never done it and do not have any planned. I don't see anything wrong with being interested in something and exploring it. If you have a problem with it I'm sorry. Remember you had to start somewhere too.

Most reactions

Back