Nikon D750 Digital SLR Camera + 4 Lens Kit: 18-55mm VR + 70-300 mm + 32GB Kit - 5584

DigiMediaPlus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a beginner wedding photographer but have read a few very promising reviews about the Nikon D750. What do photographers in this forum think of the Nikon D750? The following kit seems very reasonably priced (by virtue of it being a kit with many additional components offered):

Nikon D750 Digital SLR Camera + 4 Lens Kit: 18-55mm VR + 70-300 mm + 32GB Kit - 5584

Do you think these two lenses are would I need to start off in for wedding photography? might there be other lenses that would be more appropriate for wedding photography specifically?

Also, does anyone know about Rakuten as a vendor? good/bas experiences?

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Can't assist you on the camera front sorry.
However, couple of guys I play volleyball with have used Rakuten to buy new shoes from (they are all twice as expensive down here in Australia) and they have been received without an issue if that helps.

Hmmm. A top-end DSLR with a couple of kit lenses and two worthless screw-on adapters.

My advice is to forget a kit like this. The camera will serve you just fine, but the glass probably won't. For serious wedding work, you'll need something like the 24-70/2.8.

The rest of that kit is just cheap crap they use to artificially inflate your supposed savings.

The 18-55 zoom is a DX lens, designed for APS-C sized sensor Nikons like the D3xxx, D5xxx, and D7xxx series cameras, and has a very low new retail price. The Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens is an OLD, cheap, early production G-series lens. I own one, have had it for years, got it refurbished dirt-cheap. Its best strength is for portraiture and romantic scenic imagery when used with a soft-focus or fog or diffusion filter added to the front of the lens; it's a lens that has a high degree of chromatic aberration at its longer settings, and adding that much color fringing to a softening/fog/diffusion filter gives a nice, soft-focus-like, dreamy, hazy, ethereal look. And no--I am NOT kidding, I am being 100 percent serious. This lens is a crappy lens if what you want is a sharp, crisp tele-zoom. But it DOES actually make very beautiful images when its longer lengths are paired with something like the Cokin Diffuser series or their Fog filters, or the B+W WZ-2 soft focus filter, or a fog or hairspray-covered UV filter.

Overrall, the two Nikon zooms this fantastic, full-frame camera have been paired with makes me wonder if the person who created this kit is either 1)a crack addict or 2) a heroin junkie just out of a halfway house. Because this whole kit is totally whacked. The second two "lenses" are absolute GARBAGE. They are not really what I would call lenses, but merely $19 screw-in lens attachments. I would run fast and far away from this kit. Very fast, and very far.

I buy my camera gear either from Adorama or BH Photo Video.

I have the D750 but shoot mostly prime lenses. It's a great camera if you pair it up with great lenses. It defeats the purpose of having a great camera but with cheap kit lenses.

Uuuuh ... You are indeed a beginner if you consider such a crap offer at all. You have NO use for half format DX lenses on a full format camera. I would strictly avoid any site with such offers, because they prove these shops want to fool you any way possible.

Lenses are the most important part of every camera system. The Nikon system is especially beloved because of its backward compability - meaning you can get excellent used manual (so-called "AI" or "AI-S", or even "pre-AI", the later which needs to be modified before use, or newer motor-driven which are "AF" instead of "AF-S", the later of which means theres an internal AF motor in the lens) lenses from ages past for cheap.

And you wont be able to resell these crap lenses either because nobody wants them. Thats why they're trying to get rid of this stuff in the first place.

About wedding photography, thats the probably hardest subtype of photography. Personally I avoid it. You need to be an expert at every field of the photographic experience. You need to be able to get good results even in places with poor light and no flash useage allowed - meaning large sensors, bright prime lenses, and good post processing is mandatory.

However from statements of people who do it, the most common set of gear is:

- Two bodies per photographer, with at least one main, experienced photographer and one assistant (the later follows the commands of the experienced photographer so they can cover all important angles).

- All bodies have dual cards in backup mode (cameras that offer this include the D3, D3s, or the D750). All cards are ScanDisk (the model name is "Extreme Pro" for the D750), because they are the most reliable.

- A good set of bright zooms, like for example the AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 (NOT the new overpriced overengineered successor with VR) and the AF 80-200mm f2.8D (NOT the older push-pull model).

- A good set of bright primes (typically 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4) for low light and portraiture.

- A good set of flashlights and pocket wizards to operate them, also lightstands.

- A monopod and remote trigger to get the shot even when you cannot get it otherwise (and to make VR unnecessary).

- A lot of other gear, such as good straps (Blackrapid etc).

- Computer(s) with an image manipulation software like Lightroom.

- A lot of technical knowledge - how to operate all this, how to plan the shoots, how to organize yourself, how to do the post processing, yada yada.

My thoughts exactly as above.
I looked at the kit and except for the camera body itself, the rest of it is secondary spare parts / junk. The quality of the camera is in a different league of the rest of the kit. The rest of the kit should be paired with a used $200 or so DX camera and be priced accordingly.

I'd avoid that site from now on for anything camera or non-camera related.

D750 and 18-55mm don't even belong on the same page.Someone is smoking something funny I think.IMO and no offense but If you don't understand what type of lenses are being offered on a $2000 FX format body and even considering buying this kit offered with a bunch of useless junk,then its probably more camera then you need at this time.You would be better off a much low cost body with very good glass.

I shoot weddings with a D750. The three lenses I use cost probably about $4500. If you're looking for one lens I think most would recommend at least the 24/70 f/2.8. You can shoot prime as well, but shooting with only one prime will really limit what you can get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back