Nikon D750 Under Exposure

Yuemingzhang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I am new to this form. I noticed some very insightful replies in the form so decided to give it a try. I have used D700 for years, and bought Nikon D750 a month ago and found it's consistently underexposure by multiple stops. I always shoot in RAW, so I can adjust the exposure in post processing but I still would like some feedback see if the camera is defective.

Please see the two Raw image from the link below, and thank you in advance. I would really appreciate if you can look at the parameters see if I did anything wrong - before I return the camera (if I still can)

Dropbox - Public

I have to use dropbox as it seems the form doesn't accept large files.

Ming

You're shooting shutter priority in what looks to be a high dynamic scene. It depends on which metering mode, your camera was probably trying to compensate for the brightness.

Dropbox would not let me see your photos without signing in. The D750 will depending on the metering mode expose for the highlights and has enough dynamic range to bring the shadows up in post. Play with the different metering modes see what you like best shoot a few jpeg and see how the camera processes them will also help give you an idea of what is happening.

Yes there is a limit to how big a image file can be loaded on the forums.
Image file size and image size are 2 separate things.
You can reduce just the file size by saving a copy of a photo at less than full quality.
The size of the photo will not be changed.

It is common for mass produced DSLRs to have exposure variance between each camera of the same make/model.
That is in part why DSLR cameras have an Exposure Compensation feature.

Nikon DSLRs come set (default) to change exposure in 1/3 stop steps (shutter, aperture, & ISO).
Multiple clicks on a Command wheel may not be multiple stops since a full stop change of exposure at the default of 1/3 stop per click requires 3 clicks of a Command wheel. 2 full stops requires 6 clicks.

move the photos off a private storage drive block by most buisness sites and someplace public and accessible like directly here...

Thanks all for the reply.

Dropbox allows you to download if select "download without subscribe". I am not sure how to reduce RAW file size. If anybody can point me a way to do so I will. I think you need to see the raw to determine if I did anything wrong.

Anyway, I will try what John suggested to play with different exposure. I've always used the Matrix exposure before.

Appreciate again.

Yes, just click the x in the corner to go ahead without logging in.
The exif data will tell the tale so convert to tiff and make the file size smaller. The exif data will come along I think.....one of the tech guys will know

Dropbox is blocked at most places of business.

almost all online drives are, so employees can't dump hundred classified NSA files onto a pubic drive.

upload_2015-8-4_13-5-52.png

I looked at the two images...looked to me like good exposure settings for the situations--preserving highlight detail, while yielding an exposure that could easily be perfected in software via simple adjustments.

and IE8 at that.

dont blame me, blame the gov't. I just wanted to show that error message, it's blocked within chrome itself and shows a chrome error.

or i can click through and show you the big ol govt seal...

Thanks Derrel. Based on your reply, I don't think I will take the Camera back.

Appreciate others response too.

Yuemingzhang said:
Thanks Derrel. Based on your reply, I don't think I will take the Camera back.

Appreciate others response too.

Have you tried shooting NEF + JPEG, medium-sized, fine compression, with say, the sharpening turned up fairly high, the Active D-Lighting set moderately high, and the tone curve set to AUTO, or Normal? That creates a fairly processed, crisp-looking out of camera JPEG file, but also preserves the full raw file for later adjusting.

The new Nikons can also do after-the-shot, in-camera RAW file "developing"--and you know what? It's actually not that bad!

I would actually encourage you to experiment with the NEF + JPEG shooting option with the D750. NEF+ JPEG can be adjusted so that the straight out of camera (SOOC JPEG) .JPG files are bright, crisp, and snappy.

The D750 does behave differently than my D5200 did in auto exposure modes (aperture priority is what I like to default to). I think it takes a bit of getting used to... I had some situations where the thing was overexposing by a full stop when I had bricks in the background, and there was very little dynamic range to the lighting in the scene. I still have some situations where the metering gets tripped up a little.

I don't think it's an issue at all though... it sounds like you're encountering similar problems that I encountered when I first picked up my D750. I thought mine was defective as well. Just make sure you toggle between your three different metering modes intelligently, and switch to manual when you know things will get tripped up with too many tricky bright lights / dark areas.

Thanks for all the helpful response. I will try different meter mode - and you are right, it differs than D700 doesn't mean it's defective.

Most reactions

Back