Nikon D7500 Lenses

kcoleman805

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am looking to purchase the Nikon D7500 here in the near future and am looking for some decent lenses to go with it. I currently have about $2,000 to spend on lenses and am looking to get at least 3 different lenses. The type of photography I enjoy doing is landscape and cityscape, but also want to start getting into taking pictures of people. What lenses would you recommend for me?

Kasey Coleman

I recommend the Nikon D810. If I had your money that's what I would do.

From the flavor of your inquiry, you seem to be a beginner, so I would like to see you get started on the right foot. The D810 would be my first choice for landscape and portraiture. I'll leave the choice of lenses for another poster.

Why not buy the camera, shoot it for a while, and learn what lenses you actually need for your style of shooting?

Arbitrarily buying three lenses might not serve you any good.

Landscapes are typically (but not always) wide angle (maybe 16 to 35mm) full frame.
Portrait lenses are typically (but not always) short telephoto (maybe 50 to 200mm) full frame.

Of course, the D7500 is a crop sensor which would convert those numbers by a factor of 1.5 (in other words, a 100mm lens on the D7500 would have the angle of view of a 150mm lens on the full frame D810).

I'd recommend the Tokina 11-20mm zoom for landscape and either a 50mm or 85mm 'G' series prime lens for people pics. The 50 would 'see' like a 75mm prime on that DX body.

I presume the D7500 would come with the 'kit' 18-55? If so, @Braineack makes a good suggestion that you go with that for a bit if you are unfamiliar with your precise needs.

I went shopping at B&H, and found these deals:

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 8.38.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 8.40.40 AM.png

So now let's consider body only, and the D810 body will be the refurbished deal for roughly $1,000 more than the D7500 body only. That leaves you with $1,000 for lenses.

Start with a 50mm 1.8 G, or 35mm 1.8 G, (either one), and get the 85mm 1.8 G, (all used in excellent condition) and you've still got money left over for a tripod. Suddenly, your gear has jumped in image quality from so-so to marvelous.

That's my recommendation.

For the D7500 which I think is a good hobbyist camera I would recommend
Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 general use and landscape/cityscape
Nikon 70-300mm DX telephoto
Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX street photography and low light situation

Most reactions

Back