Nikon D80 advice

Nikklaus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to DSLR's, but I think I know the basics. I plan on getting a D80 when I've saved enough, but I don't really know the best lens set up to go for. I was originally thinking of getting it with the 18-135 lens kit, but I was advised against it and told that an 18-55mm with a 55-200mm would be a better set up. I don't want to be able to take a certain type of photo in particular (like macro) - I would just like a versatile set up at first, though in the future I wouldn't mind trying differents styles.

I guess I'm not 100% set on the D80, so if someone thinks I'm making a mistake by getting one I'm definitely open to advice, but I like the specs because I need to be able to take high-res photos for Graphic Design work I do, and I get the impression that they're pretty good. Also, any advice on accessories you think I should go for is very welcome.

Cheers

The D80 is a great camera. Very nice feeling in the hand, very solid. I opted out for the kit lens, and instead went with a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5. It is able to do very close macros, I like the lens a lot. IIRC the lens was around $400. Sometimes I do regret having not gotten something with more versatility like the 18-200 VR from Nikon, but as you were saying I'll just get something in between like 50-200 or 50-300.

The D80 is a great camera. Very nice feeling in the hand, very solid. I opted out for the kit lens, and instead went with a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5. It is able to do very close macros, I like the lens a lot. IIRC the lens was around $400. Sometimes I do regret having not gotten something with more versatility like the 18-200 VR from Nikon, but as you were saying I'll just get something in between like 50-200 or 50-300.

What kind of pictures are you unable to take with a lens like that? The Nikon 18-200mm VR is £549.99 over here, which is pretty expensive - so I'd like some alternatives, but if it turned out to be definitely worth it I could probably stretch to it. Has anybody had experience with the 18-135mm kit lens?

Nikklaus, you can get extension tubes for around $15 US to fit between your lens and camera that will make a great macro set up!

The D80 will do you fine. :)

mike

18-200 VR from Nikon is very good solution. I use it as well!

I agree on the 18-200 VR, lovely lens, but harder than heck to find and expensive as well.

I don't care for the 18-135 kit lens, for $300 US you can do a LOT better... basically, for the same money you can get the 18-55 and the 55-200 VR, have a wider range focal lengths AND VR on the long end where you need it.

The 18-55 kit is not a macro lens, but you can shoot very close with it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back