Nikon D80 aperture, shutter speed

Commander_Chaos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shooting macro photography with a D80 and a tokina 100mm lens. I'm focusing manually with "A" on the left hand dial and aperture set to 32. I'm using these setting to get maximum depth of field with the object (the end of a candy bar) filling the frame.

The problem I'm having is that the shots I'm getting are almost black. The shutter speed is really fast and I can't figure out how to slow it down. I know that the camera is setting the shutter speed automatically because it slows way down when I put my hand over the lens. Is there a way to go manual with aperture AND shutter speed?

I'm lighting the subject with a single CFL shining through the side of a white fabric box.

In "manual" you set BOTH the aperture AND shutter speed.

Leave the aperture at f/32, then set your shutter to give a good exposure. It might be long, so if you're not already on a tripod, use a tripod.

Thank you VERY much. I can't convey how much easier my job just got.

You're entirely welcome!

Ask us anything, someone on here will know the answer.

P is program mode and the camera selects both aperture and shutter speed. You must use the S mode....S is for Shutter Priority, set the shutter speed and the camera selects the Aperture. Shutter speed is changed with the rear wheel.

Huepar laser level

Last edited:
If you want to control shutter speed you need to either be in "S" or "M".

I woul dsuggest rereading pages 47 to 51 of the manual

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back