Nikon D80 or Canon 40D?

ricitius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been researching DSLRs and these are the two that I might want to jump into the bandwagon with. What I like about these two cameras is the compatibility they have with many lenses. Other than than that I think they are pretty much the same. What do you think? They are both around my budget.

Another thing, has anyone ever head of www.usaphotonation.com ? Or www.1wayphoto.com ? They seem to have sweet offers at both under a grand for these cameras.

Thank you kindly for reading, I can't wait to hear your responses.

I have only had experience with D80 and found it to be amazing! With those sites I would google them or go to a sellers rating site, because there are a lot of photography sites that are frauds.

I just searched for them through Google's search engine. The results were very unpleasant. From what I have read in these forums B&H is the site to make your purchases. Thank you for the hint. Much appreciated.

Yes, B&H (or Adorama) are where I would recommend.

As for the D80 vs the 40D...I'd say that the 40D is a significantly better camera...if only because it's much newer technology and it's a significant upgrade from the previous version...the 30D. Nikon has some new models...I think the D300 would be the closest match to the 40D...so check that out.

Also, when you decide to buy...please use the links on the top of the page, because the forum will get a small commission, which helps keep this place running.

I just searched for them through Google's search engine. The results were very unpleasant. From what I have read in these forums B&H is the site to make your purchases. Thank you for the hint. Much appreciated.

No problem. Good luck finding a camera.

Thanks for the info guys. I went to a local store today and tried them out. I really enjoyed them, they're both pretty sweet. However it turned out to be neither of them. I went with an Olympus E-410. It was right under my beginner's budget. It came with two lenses, I know they might not be the best, which I'll be more than happy to use at this stage, case, 2 gig card, and a whopping three year warranty for the body and one year for the lenses.

It looks like I'm set for now. I can't wait to start taking a immense amounts of photos.

Ahhh good to hear someone didn't just jump on the Canon / Nikon bandwagon because of brand recognition. The E-410 is quite worthy.

ahhh! i've been shopping around was looking at the olympus. so you will have to keep us updated on what you think of it! it's always nice to hear more personal reviews.... also, can't wait to see some of the photos from it! :D

ahhh! i've been shopping around was looking at the olympus. so you will have to keep us updated on what you think of it! it's always nice to hear more personal reviews.... also, can't wait to see some of the photos from it! :D

it's been pretty good so far. i'm learning the ins and outs of this little cam. here is probably my favorite pic i've taken so far with it. i took it last night around three over the interstate.
blurredmotion.jpg

Most reactions

Back