Nikon D80 v D200

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went in today to see if Jessops had a D80 in stock, they do and at good money.

I was going to get John Lewis to price match them (it has to be in stock to do this) £542 inc vat body only

Whilst in there I noticed the D200 and asked if I could hold it.

Bugger, its a lot nicer in the hand but £860 inc vat

It feels like a proper camera and a lot like my current SLR nikons.

I always thought the D80 to be a little small for my liking but thats the first time I have held the 200.

Bottom line I can't afford either but should I push the boat out and get the 200? They say its better and more robust and I do tend to use em and throw them around a bit so maybe the magnisium body will be better?

help?

depends on how badly u need the extra options which come on the D200. my neighbor just made that exact upgrade.

Features wise I don't think there is that much between them, extra frames per sec stuff like that

Its the same senor as far as I know.

It was more about the feel of it and its durability

If i were in your position, the extra features would be worth the extra cost.

Features wise I don't think there is that much between them, extra frames per sec stuff like that

Its the same senor as far as I know.

It was more about the feel of it and its durability
Durability and size are the biggest differences I personally would go for the D200

i own a d200, because of the build quality and because i already use cf cards, the d80 uses sd, the imaging chips are exactly the same.

I would go the extra and get a D200. I was in the same palce as you between the 80 and 200. They do not have the exact same sensor, but they list them the same pixel count I read on two sites and there is a slight difference in sensors. The 200 has more versatity.....more manual settings than the 80. The body of the 200 is the same as their pro models.

The main + feature the 200 has is the new AF motors,,,,,FAST FAST FAST. Great for action shots, plus 5 frames a sec vs 3....nice. Plus the 200 has eleven AF points while the 80 only has 7.....etc etc etc

You are stepping up when you go with the 200,,, and you know it after shooting it for a while. Several mags and reviews rate it the best buy at 10+mp and it performed well above the Cannon 30D and cost much less.

I choose the 200- and will never look back.

Good luck!

Judge

The D200 won, battery is charging now - gulp!!

I figure I might as well not be able to pay for the one I wanted rather than not be able to pay for the one I couldn't afford either! Twisted logic?

Most reactions

Back