Nikon D80 VR lenses

Yes, but people have been saying for years that Nikon contracts out some of their lens manufacturing, especially on the lower end stuff. But I'm not really trying to be a conspiracy theorist. :)
well you're talking about two different things. Contract manufacturing is one thing, and something that probably just about everybody does. But actually using a third-party external design and then slapping your name on it is something entirely different, especially if it's a lesser discount manufacturer getting their stuff onto a much nicer logo. Sorta like how a lot of older Hondas and Acuras were nothing more than rebadged Isuzus! Yes, Isuzus! I feel bad for the people that fell for that crap, but even basic research in Consumer Reports would have steered them away.

But anyways, the end result is what matters to me. If something performs well both optically and mechanically and is reasonably priced, then who cares who makes it?

But anyways, the end result is what matters to me. If something performs well both optically and mechanically and is reasonably priced, then who cares who makes it?

I totally agree...I've gotten both lemon lenses and great lenses from both Sigma and Nikon. :D

for a with and without comparison look here. The first group (1-7) of shots was shot at 1/200 ISO 1600 while the second group (8-14) was shot at 1/80 ISO 1250.

The second group required me to pan with the moving players.

They were all shot with my 70-300mm.

heres my feedback on the 18-200 vr, i like it enough to be my avatar :)

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114255

"Life - Changing

My 18-200mm VR is more than just a new lens. It's changed the way I live and make photos. Some reasons my 18-200mm VR has changed my life are:

1.) No more camera bag! For casual trips I wrap this and my D200 in a sweatshirt and throw it in my carry-on bag. This saves a bag and keeps it hidden.

2.) No more tripod! VR obsoletes tripods. Now I only bother with a tripod for night photography. See Why VR is Important.

3.) My bag weighs less when I do carry it. This and my 12-24 mm do everything. I used to tote an F2AS and 16 fisheye, 17 Tokina, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.0, 50 f/1.4, 55 Micro, 105 f/1.8 and 180 f/2.8 ED manual-focus AI-s Nikkors everyplace I went. My 18-200mm VR is sharper, especially hand-held in low light.

4.) I can leave my macro at home. My 18-200mm focuses as close as I need without clumsy macro settings. My first 200mm lens, a manual-focus T-mount Vivitar, only focused as close as 12 feet! My 80 - 200 AFS only makes it to 5 feet. Today my 18-200mm VR focuses as close as 8 inches from the front of the lens at 200mm! Nikon's spec of 20" is the distance from the subject to the image plane, which is the back of the camera, not the front of the lens. At 200mm the lens extends almost to the subject!

5.) No wasted time or sensor dust collected changing lenses. I missed a lot of shots in the days before zooms. In 1999 I thought it was great replacing eight fixed lenses with two zooms. I just replaced those two zooms with this one!

6.) The 18-200mm VR just became the world's best portrait lens, especially for pets. My $1,500 80-200mm AFS didn't focus close enough (5 feet) to let me get close shots of pets. Even better, the ability to zoom from tight head shot to group lets me get more shots that would otherwise be lost changing lenses or grabbing another camera. With the 18-200mm you can zip in and out from tight head shots to full body and environmental without making your subject wait for lens changes. "

From kenrockwell.com

Whaaa??? Obsoletes tripod???? Macro lens??? Worlds best portrait lens???? I know this post must have been done to get a rise out of someone or by someone who really needs to get back on their meds (or off ths drugs).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back