Nikon D80 vs. D200

eminart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, in my quest to find the perfect camera that I can afford, it looks like it's coming down to a matchup of the D80 and D200.

As a photo noob, I can read through all the specs on both cameras and get an idea of how they compare, but can someone here put it in real-world terms? How do the two compare? What can be done with one that can't be done with the other? I'm assuming the D200 is the "nicer" camera, but being an older model (I think) than the D80, is it really better?

I'm just curious, because is looks like if I shop around I can probably pick up a used D200 for close to the same price as a D80.

Well, the D200 truly is a semi-pro camera. It's large, has very low noise, and shoots at 5 frames a second. The D80 is by no means a beginner's camera, however. It also is pretty big (no where near the D200), has very low noise, and has a fantastic starter lens. However, the D80 only shoots at 3FPS, so if you're mainly shooting sports, the D200 is the way to go.

Just my 1.09p, I'd go with the D80. Now that the D60 has come out, the 80's price should go down a bit. Also, the D80 has a full-auto mode and various "scene" modes, compared to the D200's Program, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority and Manual modes.

Also, you'd probably have to buy the D200 used for it to cost as much as the D80; the starter lens is another £150 (don't do USA speak). So I'd probably go for the D80.

Mind you, the D200 is fully weather-sealed.....

Well, the D200 truly is a semi-pro camera. It's large, has very low noise, and shoots at 5 frames a second. The D80 is by no means a beginner's camera, however. It also is pretty big (no where near the D200), has very low noise, and has a fantastic starter lens. However, the D80 only shoots at 3FPS, so if you're mainly shooting sports, the D200 is the way to go.

Just my 1.09p, I'd go with the D80. Now that the D60 has come out, the 80's price should go down a bit. Also, the D80 has a full-auto mode and various "scene" modes, compared to the D200's Program, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority and Manual modes.

Also, you'd probably have to buy the D200 used for it to cost as much as the D80; the starter lens is another £150 (don't do USA speak). So I'd probably go for the D80.

Mind you, the D200 is fully weather-sealed.....

sigh.......... decisions decisions........... I was almost set on a D80 but then I started reading about the D200's. I do like the water seal since I will be doing a lot of wildlife photography and taking it camping/hiking. I also like the 5fps.

I don't know. I think I can pick up a used D200 body for around $800 which is roughly the price of a new D80 with the 18-55 lens.

I had the same dilemma and bought the D200. I got it for $800 but it was very hard to find.

I do want to correct TamiyaGuy and say it DOES NOT have low noise. At ISO 400 it is noticeable and would not want to go above 800 at all.. (this is coming from a "silent" D50 )

I am very happy i got the D200. Why? I dont know, I really havn't played with a D80 that much. When i see the image quality though and the ergonomics I have no regrets. Would i do just as good with D80? I'm not sure, i got a D200 lol...

Either way they are both great cameras, (5fps is fun though!). If you are like me, i would grab a D200 just because i would hate to regret buying the D80 and knowing if i put forth 100 more i could move up a step on the ladder. I also like the size.. Its perfect with a grip

Most reactions

Back