Nikon D800 autofocus motor for non-moving subjects

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone share their experiences with the autofocus motor in the Nikon D800, and how it performs with Nikkor D lenses for stationary subjects. I shoot landscapes, portraits, and typical "travel" images. I'm thinking I can save some money by buying the slightly older Nikkor D lenses. Great optics, but no internal focusing motor. Can I rely on the D800's motor to get the shots?

Yes. But understand there is no such thing as a 100% perfect AF system. There will be instances where you won't get focus.

Yes. But understand there is no such thing as a 100% perfect AF system. There will be instances where you won't get focus.

Yes, obviously. But will it mostly focus precisely and accurately in well-lit situations of stationary subjects? Or will it be a 50/50 hit and miss kind of thing?

I use a number of them (35,50, 85, and 105) and there are no problems whatsoever. I love my 'D' glass - all of my Veteran's Portraits posted here are done with an 85mm 1.4D, most on the D800, and I've done a fair bit of macro work with the 105 just for s**ts and giggles... always looked on very well.

Yes, obviously. But will it mostly focus precisely and accurately in well-lit situations of stationary subjects? Or will it be a 50/50 hit and miss kind of thing?

It's impossible to put a number on. Maybe it will fail 10% of the time. Maybe 20. Maybe 5. God only knows and He's not telling anyone.

You have to do your part.
AF or AF-S, make sure you put the AF point on something that it can focus on.
Trying to focus on a solid color object/subject will have the camera hunting, because it can't find something to focus on.

The only time I've had trouble with the AF is when shooting night sports, where the AF would sometimes hunt.
During the day, no problem.

With stationary subjects, you have all the time to find something that the camera can focus on.

My D800 focuses AF-D lenses quite well. The AF module is a pretty high-specification model, something like 30 years into the Nikon autofocusing era. The 50/1.8 AF-D, 24/2.8-AF-D, 28-80 AF-D,Tamron 90/2.8 AF-SP,60/2.8 AF-D Micro~Nikkor and Nikon 180/2.8 AF-D are the AF-D lens models I use the most with the D800. It can focus extremely well on non-moving subjects, indoors or outdoors. I have not shot much action work with the D800. You _can_ rely on the D800 to hit focus, much more so than older, lower-spec'd systems.

I have a 50mm 1.8 and a 24mm 2.8AF-D that I use with my D750. They focus just a good as my motorized lenses. They are a bit noisier but that is the only drawback I see. I would speculate that the D750 and D800 would handle AF-D lenses in the same manner

I skipped the 800/10 and went to a 500 then 850 from a d700. I used the 35 D on it as it was small enough to put in a pocket and light when I didn't need wider or didn't hae room in a smaller bag for a larger a 24-70. Great piece of glass and even the 700 focused it fine. I expect as Derrel points out, the 800 has at least as good a focus motor so expect it would be as good. I am selling mine and it is still faster getting focus than my manual focusing it's replacement. Not enough to matter in most circumstances for what I shoot. Remember to with a 35 you can bracket focus distance at smaller apertures and not need to focus.

I have several AF-D lenses that I use with my D750. They seem to focus as well as the AF-S lenses. For the type of pictures you are wanting to take you should have no problem with your D800 and Af-D lenses.

I never had any issues with former AF-D glass on my D800. I've used the Nikon AF-D 80-200mm, 50mm, 20mm, 20-35 & 85mm. And the Tokina 17mm. No issues.

Most reactions

Back