Nikon d810 an overkill?

Heyitsduy42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for a new camera body. Been shooting with D7000 for about 3-4 years now and owned the D80 before that. The D7000 is an awesome camera but I want more. LOL (don't we all?). Even though I have a SB600, I rarely use it. With a grip and a 2.8 lens attached , I feel the flash makes the camera even more bulky. My D7000 is also showing pretty bad back focusing even after fine tuning is to a -20. Its almost usable with the 35mm 1.8, unless I shoot at least f4+. The ISO performance is not that great either. The most important thing for me is fast accurate focusing in low light and be able to shoot up to 6400 ISO.

I narrowed it down to the D7100 or D300s replacement (if it ever comes out), D610 (refurbished), or the new D810. I already owned a few pretty good DX lenses but don't mind selling those and upgrading to FX lenses. Even though I've been shooting for 7 years now, I still consider myself an amateur. I will mainly use the camera to shoot my Basketball league games, Car shows, family portraits, Landscape, insects and pets. I do shoot at weddings and family events for fun.

I'm really leaning towards the d810 just because I like to buy new technologies but do you think it's too much camera for me? From what I'm reading, the d810 focus system is fast, accurate and top notch. It also an excellent low light performer. I dont really need the 36MP except for maybe when I'm shooting landscapes. I always shoot jpegs but will eventually explore RAW. My computer is only a years old so I don't think I need to upgrade.

If I switch over the full frame, I will end up buying keeping the Tokina 11-16MM and shoot at 16mm for my wide shots. I will also pick up a fast 35mm, 50mm and 85mm.

Money isn't an issue right now, as my wife just inherited a nice chunk of cash and she thinks I deserve something nice. LOL

Please give me your feed back. Thanks!!

First off, I highly recommend shooting RAW.

If the cost is not a big deal, the D810 is a good call. It will be state of the art for years to come. Or you could pick up a D800 for less than two thirds the price and get yourself a nice lens to go with it.

I agree with the above, it will be state of the art for years to come, and you wouldn't worry to change body from a long time, so it is indeed a good investment.
If budget is within the plans, go for it.

What FX lenses do you have? That is important too, once you will need good FX lenses for the D810.

I'd suggest the D810 and lenses to match.

First off, I highly recommend shooting RAW.

If the cost is not a big deal, the D810 is a good call. It will be state of the art for years to come. Or you could pick up a D800 for less than two thirds the price and get yourself a nice lens to go with it.

Yeah, I will definitely look into Raw.

I agree with the above, it will be state of the art for years to come, and you wouldn't worry to change body from a long time, so it is indeed a good investment.
If budget is within the plans, go for it.

What FX lenses do you have? That is important too, once you will need good FX lenses for the D810.

That's was my exact thought when I considered the d810. I wouldn't have to switch body in a long while. I can also get a good amount of cash back if I ever decide to sell it used.

The only FX lenses I have now is a Sigma 100MM 2.8 macro, the Tamron 70-300mm VC and an old school Nikkor 55mm Micro.

The only FX lenses I have now is a Sigma 100MM 2.8 macro, the Tamron 70-300mm VC and an old school Nikkor 55mm Micro.

That's a good start, but you will need to buy new lenses as well.

These below are among the less expensive, and will give you great quality:
=> Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX (a very good ultra-wide angle full frame lens for landscapes)
=> Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX (although DX, it also work pretty good on FX, and will be great for wide angle on a full frame)
=> Nikon 85mm f/1.8G (one of the best and sharpest FX lenses)

If you got the cash and it's not going to put you or your family in the debt, go for it.

You said d7000 is bulky with flash. D800/810 is bigger again. Iso etc will have a very limited improvement if any with the d7100. It's nice, I have one and like it but improvement over D7000 is not much but if your d7000 has a focus problem then a service or repair may make it a camera you don't need to upgrade.

In real terms unless you shoot sports regularly the d810 and Canon 5d3 are probably the best items someone who takes photos and doesn't pixel peep could buy, assuming you have the ram and hard drive space

You said d7000 is bulky with flash. D800/810 is bigger again. Iso etc will have a very limited improvement if any with the d7100. It's nice, I have one and like it but improvement over D7000 is not much but if your d7000 has a focus problem then a service or repair may make it a camera you don't need to upgrade.

In real terms unless you shoot sports regularly the d810 and Canon 5d3 are probably the best items someone who takes photos and doesn't pixel peep could buy, assuming you have the ram and hard drive space

Yes I'm aware the D810 is bigger but I don't see it being as bulky as a D7000 with a flash.

I actually completed a repair form from Nikon but never sent the d7000 in for service. It was going to cost me a $200+ for the service. Thought it was too much considering you can get a refurbished D7000 for $549.

The D800 is significantly beefier than the D7000.

Yes I'm aware the D810 is bigger but I don't see it being as bulky as a D7000 with a flash.

I actually completed a repair form from Nikon but never sent the d7000 in for service. It was going to cost me a $200+ for the service. Thought it was too much considering you can get a refurbished D7000 for $549.

I've got a photo some where with my D7100 and D800 together. The D800 is slightly bulkier, even more so with my SB-700 mounted. I've only shot one event and it was some what cumbersome...I'm definitely not cut out for wedding photography.

Anyhow, You don't have to justify buying a new body to me, if you want the D810 and it's not going to hurt you or your family financially, go for it.

That's a good start, but you will need to buy new lenses as well.

These below are among the less expensive, and will give you great quality:
=> Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX (a very good ultra-wide angle full frame lens for landscapes)
=> Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX (although DX, it also work pretty good on FX, and will be great for wide angle on a full frame)
=> Nikon 85mm f/1.8G (one of the best and sharpest FX lenses)

I didn't know the 35mm 1.8G DX will work with a FX sensor. Thought I would have to purchase the FX version of it. Good to know. Thanks.

And for sure I'm going to pick up the 85mm 1.8G.

I've got a photo some where with my D7100 and D800 together. The D800 is slightly bulkier, even more so with my SB-700 mounted. I've only shot one event and it was some what cumbersome...I'm definitely not cut out for wedding photography.

Anyhow, You don't have to justify buying a new body to me, if you want the D810 and it's not going to hurt you or your family financially, go for it.

LOL..Thanks for replies everyone. I'm kinda glad no one so far tried to persuade me into getting the d610. Makes me feel much better about getting a d810.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back