Nikon D810 announced

One more from Tony:

Nikon D810 Review (vs 5D Mark III): Landscapes, portraits, sports, studio & night photography

0:00 Introduction
2:40 Handheld Landscapes
4:30 Tripod Landscapes
6:00 Portraits
6:48 Face Metering
10:40 Sports/Action
12:07 Studio/Commercial
14:46 Night Photography
16:31 Summary

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony (a famous Canon user) ends up the video comparison above (between the 5D III & D810) with this:

Nikon D810
The Greatest
Camera
Ever Made

On his tests, the D810 beat the 5D III almost all the way through...

Kinda' singing a wayyyyy different tune than they were in the first video. This "minor update" has some amazing improvements of the 5D-III they are shooting now. The night-time shadow noise problem Canon has had forever is still there, whereas the sensor technology in the D810 is nothing short of AMAZING in terms of both almost no noise, but also in shadow recovery capabilities. Nikon had better autofocusing. Better exposure metering and adjusting on the fly. Better color. Bigger, more-detailed images. Quieter shutter. Built-in flash and, as they neglected to mention, along with the flash, a built-in remote flash triggering method. All in all a pretty significant "minor update" I would say.

The Canon's sole win? It has a built-in "rating button:, so you can rate images you shoot based on what you see on a 3.3-inch screen, and decide, you know, based on that, what the "best shots are". lol. Pretty humorous, rating your images on the LCD screen and f*****g around during valuable shooting time and pausing to "rate your work" when you ought to be paying attention to actually capturing your subject matter, but, hey, whatever. The Canon wins on the rating button! Yipppeeee!!!!

Derrel, look at this comment to Tony's YT video, and its reply:

BOVINE97
5-Aug-2014
You forgot one thing....did you switch??? :) I think Canon and Nikon users both look at the other one wondering "what if". I have the D600 and am eyeing the D810. This is helpful. FYI, there should be a lot more testing done for sports/wildlife though (i.e. left to right, something getting in front of subject, etc.). Both cameras offer settings for how long the camera holds the subject should something pass in front. The D810 has a new Group Area mode which is supposed to be great.

Tony Northrup +BOVINE97
5-Aug-2014
Yeah, we're switching. I should have given a more clear answer in the video, but that's what the "Which camera will you pick up for landscapes, portraits, etc." was. We'll probably keep the Canons around for a bit, but we both are going to be reaching for the Nikon.

NicolSD
4-Aug-2014
Will you be switching to Nikon?

Tony Northrup +NicolSD
4-Aug-2014
Yeah, totally. I'm sure we'll keep the Canons around until we get some more specialized Nikon lenses, but neither of us want to pick up a Canon after using the D810.

"...neither of us want to pick up a Canon after using the D810."

"...neither of us want to pick up a Canon after using the D810."

What if you were pinned down by several dozen canons? What then? What then?!?!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back