Nikon D810 Internal Memory Buffer Replacement & Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
The raw files from my 16mp fuji were bigger than the raw files from my 24mp d7100

pixmedic said:
The raw files from my 16mp fuji were bigger than the raw files from my 24mp d7100

Not surprising; Fuji has in the past used some oddly different, non-Bayer array sensors that have MORE info than a typical bayer camera has. the Fuji S2 was a 6-MP camera, that up-rezzed to 12-MP, and JPEGS from it were often quite big, and the . raw format .RAF files were quite bloated as well. On Fuji S2-era raw .RAF files, converting them to Adobe's DNG created a sigificant, quite large file space svaings for offloading onto media or drives. The same is not the case for the Bayer-sensor cameras I've tried the .DNG conversion on.

Same with Fuji's 12-MP S5 Pro...notably bigger file storage needs than the 24-MP D3x JPGs from Nikon.

Also: in terms of speed of writing files:there's some empirical data on s-Raw and m-Raw files taking a LOT,LOT longer to be written and flushed from buffer than regular, 12- bit or even 14-bit RAW files from high-end Canon and Nikons. Why? Because s-RAW and m-RAW are not really RAW DATA, BUT PROCESSED data, usually down-rezzed and 11-bit files which are basically kind of like the ERI JPEG format Kodak invented years ago.

Same goes for .JPEG compresson on large images--that can take time and CPU cycles to do the mathematical work...in some cases with the older Fuji S2 camera, writing a BIG 16-megabyte "6 megapixel" .TIFF file was faster than writing a finishjed JPEG image which would be: 1)Shot at 6MP sensor sites>2)immediately be up-rezzed to to 12MP in buffer>then 3) down-rezzed and compressed to 6MP and saved as .JPG! OMG!!!

File sizes are not the entire issue when writing images to memory card, or in clearing a camera's buffer, which are really two different issues. Does anybody recall the 2- to 3-minute wait for Nikon D100 compressed .NEF writes? Oh_My_Lord...you could sketch the scene before that camera could write a compressed NEF, which was, as I recall, 3.8 to 3.9 megabytes!

long time lurker, first time poster, can't let this one go.

original post is total BS. virtually all parts on that PCB are BGAs, which can be reworked but v. challenging and, this is important the one tool you do not use is a soldering iron.

also, it's well over an hour to rework a BGA on a board. you have to pull it (not using a soldering iron) and then reball the BGA which is a ton of v. finicky work and then replace it (again, not using soldering iron)

lets see some pix, or at least cite a couple part #s which a real rework guy would have given us most likely w/o even thinking about it

long time lurker, first time poster, can't let this one go.

original post is total BS. virtually all parts on that PCB are BGAs, which can be reworked but v. challenging and, this is important the one tool you do not use is a soldering iron.
what ever LOL how ever there is no way to remove and replace the chip with out the soldering..

Donny

solder yes soldering iron no

see, e.g., BGA rework

note list of tools. no soldering iron. you simply do not use this tool anywhere in a BGA rework. sorry. you use heat guns or an oven. an iron creates spot heat which will destroy a BGA, you need uniform heat to even remove any surface mount technology. surely you know this since you worked at flex.

solder yes soldering iron no

see, e.g., BGA rework

note list of tools. no soldering iron. you simply do not use this tool anywhere in a BGA rework. sorry. you use heat guns or an oven. an iron creates spot heat which will destroy a BGA, you need uniform heat to even remove any surface mount technology. surely you know this since you worked at flex.
well i used an iron lol

whut?

that's what all the chips on the D810 main board are like. go look at any teardown web site. for any camera, not just the D810. they're all

a chip like that...

so. whut. what you're describing is literally impossible. not challenging, not difficult, not unlikely, literally impossible. which is why i'm posting in the first place. anyways i think we're done here.

whut?

that's what all the chips on the D810 main board are like. go look at any teardown web site. for any camera, not just the D810. they're all

a chip like that...

so. whut. what you're describing is literally impossible. not challenging, not difficult, not unlikely, literally impossible. which is why i'm posting in the first place. anyways i think we're done here.
The chip your talking about is a processor chip, the memory chip is nothing like that what so ever..

you don't give up easy do ya? all the chips on a camera mainboard are BGAs. you must have the old memory buffer chip out of the D810 lying around handy, right? post us a picture of it. just grab your phone, take you 30 seconds.

whut?

a chip like that...

the boards on my Nikon are not BGA..

you don't give up easy do ya? all the chips on a camera mainboard are BGAs. you must have the old memory buffer chip out of the D810 lying around handy, right? post us a picture of it. just grab your phone, take you 30 seconds.
The memory chips on the board are not pins that go strain down they are pins that come out the side then down, they are not what you are describing...
sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back