Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon D810 Low ISO thermal noise issue

Nikon D810 Thermal Noise Issue

Nikon Confirms the D810 Thermal Issue and Offers a Solution

According to the source above, "the above issue is not critical for most photographers and only affects those that shoot at long exposures without LENR (Long Exposure Noise Reduction) turned on". But anyhow, it's good to know.

Here is Nikon's USA service center information and response:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-...ice-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D810.html

Pretty sure this is a non-issue as it happens with any camera.

My camera collects noise like it is nobodies business when i do long exposures in poor lighting conditions.

My camera collects noise like it is nobodies business when i do long exposures in poor lighting conditions.
You are covering your viewfinder completely aren't you? To prevent light leakage onto the sensor from the viewfinder.

"Thank you for choosing Nikon for your imaging needs.

We have received a few reports from some users of the Nikon D810 digital SLR camera indicating that noise (bright spots) are sometimes noticeable in long exposures, and in some images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).
After looking into the matter, we have determined that some noise (bright spots) may on occasion be noticeable when shooting long exposures, and in images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).
Nikon service centers will service these cameras that have already been purchased as needed free of charge to the customer. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying affected products
To check whether or not your camera is one of those affected by this issue, please click the Affected Product Serial Numbers link below and enter your D810’s serial number as instructed. Your camera’s serial number will be checked against those of affected products. If your camera is one of those affected, you will be forwarded to additional instructions. If your camera is not one of those affected, you may continue using your camera without concern for this issue."

That's what Nikon says. Why don't they ask users to just shoot pictures at 1.2x setting to find out whether issue exist or not? Are they fooling us by asking us to check the serial number?

Last edited:
You are covering your viewfinder completely aren't you? To prevent light leakage onto the sensor from the viewfinder.
I'm not sure if you're serious or just joking. Does that really happen? :confused:
Yes. When the photographer does not have their eye at the viewfinder, like during a long exposure.

Even though the mirror is up the mirror does not completely block light from getting to the image sensor from the viewfinder.
That's why Nikon provides a DK-5 viewfinder cover with every camera it sells.

Yes. When the photographer does not have their eye at the viewfinder, like during a long exposure.

Even though the mirror is up the mirror does not completely block light from getting to the image sensor from the viewfinder.
That's why Nikon provides a DK-5 viewfinder cover with every camera it sells.

I had no idea, you have to learn everything someday :lol: Thanks Keith! :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're serious or just joking. Does that really happen? :confused:

Yes, this happens. It's always good to cover it. Thd D810 has a system to do it in body, for instance.

I learned the hard way .. took a bunch of photos during the day with some dark ND filters on. The photos all had a large purple blob in the middle.
I had to think back to my old cameras of how I set this up then realized the d600/d7000 don't have viewfinder shutters like pro bodies do (d300, d700 etc)

Then why would Nikon release this? ""Thank you for choosing Nikon for your imaging needs.

We have received a few reports from some users of the Nikon D810 digital SLR camera indicating that noise (bright spots) are sometimes noticeable in long exposures, and in some images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).
After looking into the matter, we have determined that some noise (bright spots) may on occasion be noticeable when shooting long exposures, and in images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).
Nikon service centers will service these cameras that have already been purchased as needed free of charge to the customer. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

To check whether or not your camera is one of those affected by this issue, please click the Affected Product Serial Numbers link below and enter your D810’s serial number as instructed. Your camera’s serial number will be checked against those of affected products. If your camera is one of those affected, you will be forwarded to additional instructions. If your camera is not one of those affected, you may continue using your camera without concern for this issue."

That's what Nikon says. Why don't they ask users to just shoot pictures at 1.2x setting to find out whether issue exist or not? Are they fooling us by asking us to check the serial number?"

Because you own something does not make it flawless.

Then why would Nikon release this? ""Thank you for choosing Nikon for your imaging needs.

That's what Nikon says. Why don't they ask users to just shoot pictures at 1.2x setting to find out whether issue exist or not? Are they fooling us by asking us to check the serial number?"

Because you own something does not make it flawless.

Thermal issues with long exposures is an issue all cameras face. The issue here isn't hardware, rather a software fix. The problem won't go away but rather will be fixed in camera. It makes me wonder if the issue will still show up in RAW files.

I learned the hard way .. took a bunch of photos during the day with some dark ND filters on. The photos all had a large purple blob in the middle.
I had to think back to my old cameras of how I set this up then realized the d600/d7000 don't have viewfinder shutters like pro bodies do (d300, d700 etc)

I still forget this about half the time. You just don't naturally think about it during the day time I guess. It can be frustrating for sure...and it's so easy with the D800, it's got a built in view finder cover. You just flip the lever and shoot. But nope, I end up having to re-shoot a few shots.

Most reactions

Back