Nikon D810 Thermal Noise Issue is Confirmed

Checked on my serial no today after an email from Nikon UK, and I've got one that needs to go back to Nikon.
They've sent anpost paid label just have to drop it into a post office.
But they're saying two to four weeks for repair!
Two questions, is that timescale acceptable for a camera that I've had for only three weeks? And is it worth sending in to repair a function that I'm probably not going to use?
I would say yes if you wan to sell it you could be asked if it has be repaired also it could lead to bigger problems that Nikon are not telling you about

From what I'm reading it's not a bad issue(some unable to re create the problem).Having said that if I bought one and the serial was a listed I would send it back. To much money to have a question mark over its performance

I would wait till the sensor needed cleaning and then send it and get a free cleaning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are growing reports, from people in Australia and in Europe, who are taking their D810 in person to a Nikon repair center, saying that it is only a firmware update, that takes less than 45min, with the waiting time included. Source: forumers from the DPReview forum.

There are growing reports, from people in Australia and in Europe, who are taking their D810 in person to a Nikon repair center, saying that it is only a firmware update, that takes less than 45min, with the waiting time included. Source: forumers from the DPReview forum.

I'm not seeing a Firmware update for the D810 on Nikon's site.

If and when Nikon does release an update, you don't need to take your camera in for it. Just download the update on a blank memory card (but not into a folder, it must be on top) and install said memory card in the camera. Then you scroll to firmware version in the setup menu. You just follow the directions listed on the LCD screen...there is usually an A and B update but it only takes about 10sec to upload either one.

^^
I'm not seeing this at Nikon website either.
But these are the growing reports.
Very confusing yet.

^^
I'm not seeing this at Nikon website either.
But these are the growing reports.
Very confusing yet.

Hopefully it's true and that a firmware update can correct the problem. I really love my D800 and want there to be a solid replacement when it comes time to need one.

Again, as seen on DPReview forums, and on NikonRumors.com, the firmware of those D810 returned after repair is being stated as "C 1.01". While the original firmware is "C 1.00".

Thermal issues with long exposures is an issue all cameras face. The issue here isn't hardware, rather a software fix. The problem won't go away but rather will be fixed in camera. It makes me wonder if the issue will still show up in RAW files.

Strange my Nikon f100 doesn't have this issue. ;)

Kidding aside, you're right all digital cameras.have problems with long exposures. It stands to reason that more sensitive cameras like the d810 would suffer more.

Again, as seen on DPReview forums, and on NikonRumors.com, the firmware of those D810 returned after repair is being stated as "C 1.01". While the original firmware is "C 1.00".

This story only serves to validate the wisdom of that Internet-era saying, "Never buy version one-point-oh-oh of anything!" ;-)

See...version 1.00 has an issue...which is corrected by version 1.01...

Bored with this whole scenario now so i tried mine. Sigma 50mm F1.4 art @30 seconds, LENR off, iso 100. Can't find anything that I can't replicate on my D4s if I look really hard.
I'm not sending mine back as I don't believe there's anything wrong.
This whole thing has been blown out of proportion by people who want to find fault.
Just enjoy your photography

Bored with this whole scenario now so i tried mine. Sigma 50mm F1.4 art @30 seconds, LENR off, iso 100. Can't find anything that I can't replicate on my D4s if I look really hard.
I'm not sending mine back as I don't believe there's anything wrong.
This whole thing has been blown out of proportion by people who want to find fault.
Just enjoy your photography

Agreed. Same here.

I am still not seeing an issue. Goddamn pixels peepers and wolf criers need to simmer down.

Most reactions

Back